Pump Size

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by gilzowg, Jun 5, 2010.

1. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

I have a low spot in one of my pastures that fills with water during the winter...about 1? acres. The hunting was decent last year on it (first time I have really hunted it). I just finished expanding the hole to about 2?-3 acres and I built a levee around it and I plan to install a drain pipe(s) and valves to control the level.

This hole is right next to a good size creek and I plan on pumping the pond full, but need some advise on what type/size of pump you would suggest.

I have seen a bunch of pumps on ebay that are 6? hp 2" pumps with a 9000 gallons per hour capacity, but I am not familiar with the brands. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2. Hawk III

Hawk III Senior Refuge Member

i don't think you are going to get 9000 gpm out of a 2" line...i have 1 6" pump that does around 1500 gpm.

3. gilzowg

I am sorry, I ment 900 gallons per hour. It is 150 GPM.:eek:

4. riversledder

riversledder Elite Refuge Member

We fill a 1 acre spot thats about 2 ft deep with a gas powered 3 inch volume pump. Fills it up pretty full in about 12-15 hours depending on conditions. Its a Honda 6.5 HP with Pramac pump. Been a good setup. Its a semi Trash pump.

5. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

There's about 325,000 gallons in 1 acre foot (1 surface acre 1' deep). Not sure how deep you're trying to go, but assume you just want 1' deep on your 3 acres, that's about 975,000 gallons. Penciled out, at 900 gallons per hour it would theoretically take you 1083 hours to pump it full (that's about 45 days!). But 'theory' won't work in the real world because of saturation and evaporation. In our case, we've found that we can 'pencil it out' & then add several hours of pump time. Good luck.

6. gilzowg

If it is going to take that long, I need to find a much bigger pump. I built the levee with the intent of putting a 12" level in the pond.

Thanks for the help.

7. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

How far is the creek from the expanded hole?

How much elevation difference is there between the creek and the hole?

How did the former low spot fill? Was it by substantially by surface flow? If so, adding the levee may have blocked in-flow to the hole?

What soil conditions did you encounter in the expansion area? Are you sure it will hold water?

Where do you plan on discharging from and to when you drain?

Why complete the levee before installing the drain line? Do it asap, refill and tamp well around it, seed the entire bank area with soil-holding ground cover.

A poor man's drain can be made using a piece of 6" PVC pipe with a 6"X4" reducer, a 4" female adapter and a 4" plug. In fact you can make a couple of them for under $100.

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Whatever, I think you are going to need a bigger pump.

9. gilzowg

Thanks for the input, I will take some pictures for you when I get a chance. To be real honest, I didn't think all of this out, I just decided one afternoon to do it and I am just taking a stab at making this work. I figured whatever doesn't work, I will fix next year. But I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

10. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Nothing like experience for a great teacher. The more you experiment the more you'll learn and apply to the next year's project. We're already in June and any 90 day or longer-to-maturity crops need to get in pretty quick. If you have an area for it, WGF Sorghum makes an easy to grow crop that will be ready for duck season if you do it soon. For the berm, see if anyone nearby stocks "Fast Grass" or "Faster Pasture" which is a fast germinating and very hardy Rye grass that binds the banks together well. Enjoy your work ... it's 1/2 the fun of hunting ducks on your own property.

BTW ... 12" PVC pipe, and especially the fittings, are many times more expensive than 6". Since speed in draining is usually not an issue, consider using the smaller diameter pipe and fittings.