Pump Size

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by gilzowg, Jun 5, 2010.

1. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

No rocket scientist here or even hydraulics engineer, but I do sell alot of pumps. Seems to me you have dismissed the origional 2" pump on a false premise. 150 gpm = 60 x 150= 9000 gph. If the origional 975,000 gal required to fill is correct then 975,000 divided by 9000 gph = 108.3 hours. Add a couple more because pumps don't usually pump at full capacity with hoses and fittings added and you have a few days and not weeks.

If I were going to buy a pump I would get at least a 2" one with 5 or 6 hp engine. Then you are talking about 180 to 200 gpm. Banjo makes a 3" pump that works off a 6.5 hp Honda and pumps up to 293 gpm. That is over 17,000 gph. These pumps can be bought between $700 and $800. 2" models with Chinese 5.5 hp clones can be bought for $225 to $300.

Good luck with your pond.

Mike

2. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

At 150 gpm you would be correct (9000 gph). But he came back and said it was 900 gph and he's an engineer--so I'm certainly not qualified to question it.

I will say that a 2" pump only delivering 900 gph seems awfully low?

3. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Elite Refuge Member

It sounds like he will only need to pump up 1 acre as the rest .75 holds water in the fall.

You could get a 3 in semi-trash pump with an 8 hour run time from northern tool for $569.00. Pumps 15,000 gallons an hour. You could fill er up in a day or two( 6inches depth)

at least on paper:)

4. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

The 2" that I was looking at had a 9000 GPH rate...I recognized the mistake, but didn't correct it.

I ended up purchasing a 4" semi trash pump that has a 427 GPM capacity...looking at the pump curve and the distance I have to pump, I expect to get around 340+ GPM. At that rate, it should take about 30-35 hours to fill the levee.

Thanks for everyones help.

5. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

More like $102.00 plus tax.

I bought one from Harbor Freight last month to put on a tiller. I used one of their "20% off any single item" coupons that come in the NRA magazine.

6. gilzowg

Well, I pumped the food plot I made and it took much longer than I thought it would. It has been really dry this year and the ground just soaked up the water.

I learned a few things...
    1. I need to work on my string level skills (levee was too low in the back and too high in the front)
    2. I need a bigger gas tank for my pump. (Has anyone on here added a gas tank to their pump?...if so, can you provide some instructions/guidance on how to do this and where to get a tank. My pump is gravity fed.)
    3. Expect everything to take twice as long to do as you think it will.
    4. I need to reduce the size of the hole I leave as open water (ducks land too far away)
    5. I should have put the pipe in the ground prior to building the levee.:doh
    6. Building a hole is a lot of fun, but is also a lot of work.
    7. Next year it is going to be twice the size it is now.:yes

Thanks for all of the advise...it has been a huge help.

7. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

You've left out the most important part of the report!

Have you killed any ducks there yet?

;)

8. gilzowg

With my work schedule, I didn't get the pond full of water when I wanted and I have only hunted it twice. I was by myself and I killed 3 each time...probably should have killed 4 or 5, but that is always the case with me. Only wood ducks and gadwalls so far, but I did scare about 10 mallards off of it this afternoon.

I am off for two weeks starting Wed and I plan on hunting as many days as I can...I will probably get to hunt this new pond 3 times during my time off and I will hopefully have a good report for you after that.

9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Good for you, I hope you get to hunt some more.

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

It already sounds like a success and knowing now what you didn't when you first started I am sure it will be even better next year.

Search around in the boats, blinds, and gadgets forum for adding an auxilliary tank to stuff. I think it was in one of the ice eater threads where someone added it to a generator they were using to run their ice eater overnight.

WE NEED MORE PICTURES! :reader