Pup dropping bumper

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by IDECOYM, Jul 18, 2017.

1. IDECOYM

IDECOYM Senior Refuge Member

Hey all,

I'm working with my almost 5 mo old Blk Lab Female. She does good most of the time. However, she has started (only when in water) "spitting" the bumper about 10 feet from shore. Then she goes to grab it again and wants to "play with it! any ideas. I correct her when she does this but it really hasn't seem to help/ stop her from doing it.

2. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

Do you plan of force fetch down the road? That will clean it up when you teach "hold." Formal OB will help too as "here" means "here" and she will stop playing with the bumper. She is a puppy yet, and just having fun. One thing you can try is simply turn your back and run from her when she is playing with the bumper. 9 times out of 10 she will pass you with the bumper in her mouth. Then happily call her back to you and praise like crazy.

3. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

At 5 months I wouldn't worry about that...my 9month when he was 5months did the same thing in the water. If she hasn't been force fetched then when she is problem solved.

I was always told not to correct my pup at that age during retrieving...as it could sour retrieving or water if the correction really bothers the dog.

4. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

She will out grow it do not worry

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'd quit working on water retrieves and start working on recall. A recall command or whistle should stop the play and bring Pup on in, likely with the bumper. But if a dog with solid recall were dropping the bumper part way in, the "trick" might well be to anticipate the drop and recall just before it.

Doc E likes this.
  6. IDECOYM

Thanks all

7. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Definitely work on a solid recall.

8. IDECOYM

Hey all,

Wanted to report that my pup, Ember, has been doing a great job on both land and water now. Took some work with my patience and working on recall to keep her from dropping the bumper. I think age had some to do with it too. She is 6 months, cant wait to see her on real birds in about 5 weeks!

9. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

6 months is an ideal age to start formal Basics. That will include force fetch, of course. Are you familiar with what Basics entails?

EvanG

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

What does that mean? :reader