Pup dropping bumper

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by IDECOYM, Jul 18, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

OK, now you've gone and "done it".....insulting my dog and how she was trained. :yes
    Lighten' up just a bit. :h Doing the "real thing" requires basic skills and
    maturity.....to be fair.

One simple rule clarifies the issue......"Do what the pup needs!" There is no
    intent on my part to be "mean spirited" or tactless......really!

Pounce is "not a robot".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"balanced, skilled, excited and having fun non-robot at work"

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Dorkweed likes this.
  2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

You imply the more we train the less fun our robot dogs have. Not true for me. The more we train, the more she wants to train......because she loves it.

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  3. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

A lot of guys on here probably started out just like you, wanting their dog to bring birds back. Many of them got involved in retriever clubs or had someone "mentor" them and teach them to teach their dog to advanced levels of training. I guarantee, if you ever hunt over a dog that you trained to a high and advanced level, you will not want hunt over anything less.

Force fetch is the foundation of this and that is why so many people are so passionate about it. There is a wealth of information in many different programs. I suggest you pick a program such as Smartworks, Total Retriever Trainer, Bill Hillman, Fowldogs, follow it and you will have a dog that will exceed your expectations.

4. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0565.jpg IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0604.jpg IMG_0778.jpg

My robot.

Timber Hole likes this.
  5. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

IMG_1047.JPG

Do robots have puppies???!!!!:p:scratch

deand1 likes this.
  6. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

IDECOYM,
    Stick around, you'll learn something here i promise. These guys are knuckleheads sometimes, but they tend to know what they're talking about.

I know how you feel, but they know how to train dogs, and in the end it will help you and your pup.

7. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

Gumbo is not a robot either. He just NEVER drops a bird! UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo RN MHA WDS TDI FullSizeRender (2).jpg

8. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

I'm a new trainer myself and told myself I'll get her the basics and just deal with anything else. We don't kill limit after limit up here anyway so why put 1000's of hours into a dog that's only going to retrieve a hundred or so ducks a season? (If that?!?!) Now that I've gotten into it I enjoy it. I'm going to let my ability as a trainer dictate where to stop because she is capable of learning much more than I am Of training. She loves retrieving and loves it even more when she's praised for doing it. She knows that when she listens to commands that she has heard 5000 times and does what she is trained to do she can have both! Honestly I've never seen a dog retrieve a duck that wasn't having the time of it's life. Just my experience though.

Dorkweed likes this.
  9. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Formal Basics for retrievers:

Formalized general obedience
    Force Fetch; all phases
    Basic Handling including double T
    Water Force & Swim-by

That is Basics

EvanG

Dorkweed and deand1 like this.
  10. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

Evan,

Can these basics be covered in three months with a professional trainer? My female lab is in her third month with a trainer now. She spent the first month in general obedience. At the end of the first month I spent two days with her and the trainer. She seemed to be doing well at that time.

Thanks,