Pup issues

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by thatguy2, Jul 10, 2017.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Pup is 8 months old. Everything was going great until I started using the blank pistol. She had been exposed to loud sounds since we brought her home. Finally decided over a month ago to use a blank pistol in our dummy training. Shot doesn't bother her however she refuses to retrieve after a blank is fired. I let it sit for a couple weeks then again Then tried again. That time I went out on a hot day and threw a couple fun bumpers into the pond. 3rd one as she was retrieving it I shot a blank behind my back. She immediately dropped it and would not go out and get it again with any amount of coaxing. Had to go get my old crippled dog to get my dummy back. Now she doesn't seem to have much interest in retrieving blanks or not. Thinking about sending her to a professional trainer as I have just about given up on her. Any ideas? She is a smart dog with a heck of a nose but if she doesn't retrieve I don't have much use for her.

2. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

Get a training program and follow it. The blank pistol should be fired a distance out in the field by someone else, not right in the dogs ear. At this point you should be teaching and training, not simulating hunting.

Doc E likes this.
  3. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Put the pistol away. Don't get it out until her retrieving attitude is built back up. Traumatic experiences can take some time for a dog to overcome. Depending on the severity some don't ever get over certain things. Only time will tell. If you are not confident in yourself seek out some professional help before there is irreversible damage. Good luck.

4. thatguy2

Thanks I called a professional a little bit ago. He wants me to bring her out Friday to take a look at what is going on. My old lab has knee issues and will have to be used sparingly. The old dog was already hunting at this age. While this dog seems smarter and better natural ability the old dog was much easier to train.

Edit: I have also noticed when I make her sit before throwing a bumper she isn't very interested. When doing fun bumpers she is enthusiastic. Should I not have the standards so high and just work on getting back to retrieving being fun?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like she may be a slower maturing dog. Doesn't mean she will not make a fine retriever. Just slow down and give her some time. You appear to be comparing her to your old dog's ability at a comparable age which you just cant do. Good call on the evaluation.

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

What training program are you following ?

7. thatguy2

Tom Dokken's Retriever Training

8. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

It appears that you have "identified" the issue. Sensitive pups often have difficulty with taskmaster based relationships.
    Responsiveness is rarely enhanced by "grinding" on control. OB can actually be fun and exciting.

As for [quote="when I make her sit"[/quote]......that should be changed (by training differently) to having her want to sit.....
    because something good comes afterwards. Turn her on......not off.

Mac5pack likes this.
  9. thatguy2

Took her to a trainer for him to evaluate. She has no interest in bumpers or dead fowl trainers. She will retrieve softballs like a champ. He says he doesn't know if she can be cured of the damage I have done. For $700 he will put her on live birds for a month and see if getting the prey drive up then introducing some blanks can produce anything. He also said I would probably be money ahead with a different dog. Wife and kids are attached to this one and I don't want a new dog so I may be screwed.

10. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

Without seeing any videos or anything...if the pup will retrieve a softball then she has a retrieve drive. I would think any professional trainer worth his/her salt would be able to get the dog where she needs to be. My puppy at 5months wouldn't bring anything back...5 weeks with a pro for formal obedience and now he wants every bumper/bird he can get

Doc E likes this.