Pup issues

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by thatguy2, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

I just passed this hurtle with my 19wk old pup. I started with a black powder revolver shooting just the #10 primer. I'll be moving up something a little louder here shortly. She turned and looked a couple times but never really broke her stride.

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I used dummy launcher dummys for a period instead of full size bumpers. Sensed the dog was turned off by the big bumpers after force fetch. Strangely enough she had no issues with the full sized doken mallard dummy,s. Progressed thru lineing drills and combo of those with single t for about 3 weeks and substituded full sized bumpers with positive compliance. Retreiveing dead pigeons now for about a week and was just introduced to thrown pigeon with 20 guage fired by me today. Not a flinch. She has been retreiveing dummys shot from launcher for about a month. Try some of the light blank pistol loads fired behind your back as it really cuts down on noise to the dog until she doesn,t react negatively Your dog will come around . Just take baby steps and use what the dog likes to control her training.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Been using a 20 ga. She seems to be crazy about retrieving so hopefully we are moving past this.