Pup issues

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by thatguy2, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

I just passed this hurtle with my 19wk old pup. I started with a black powder revolver shooting just the #10 primer. I'll be moving up something a little louder here shortly. She turned and looked a couple times but never really broke her stride.

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I used dummy launcher dummys for a period instead of full size bumpers. Sensed the dog was turned off by the big bumpers after force fetch. Strangely enough she had no issues with the full sized doken mallard dummy,s. Progressed thru lineing drills and combo of those with single t for about 3 weeks and substituded full sized bumpers with positive compliance. Retreiveing dead pigeons now for about a week and was just introduced to thrown pigeon with 20 guage fired by me today. Not a flinch. She has been retreiveing dummys shot from launcher for about a month. Try some of the light blank pistol loads fired behind your back as it really cuts down on noise to the dog until she doesn,t react negatively Your dog will come around . Just take baby steps and use what the dog likes to control her training.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Been using a 20 ga. She seems to be crazy about retrieving so hopefully we are moving past this.

4. thatguy2

We have been going great. Gunshyness is gone. She has retrieved a few doves. Opener I was hunting a field on my property. Had a couple the old dog couldn't find. She found them in 2 minutes. Then I see a bird coming. She sits on command. 1 shot the bird falls and she goes and grabs it as designed.

Tonight I was planting pheasant wings for the evening session and flush a covey of quail. I watched where they went then ran back to the house to grab her. She is supposed to point but I haven't seen much natural ability. Her body language changed when she got a snout full of scent and she found several. I hope they are still around when the season opens.

msk likes this.
  5. thatguy2

IMG_3030.JPG
    First retrieve

IMG_3042.JPG
    First drake mallard last Thursday. Only duck we saw

IMG_3050.JPG
    First quail and first quail killed off my place. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears have went into quail habitat restoration. I have 2 coveys on my 33.5 acres. Got into the bigger one this afternoon.

The trainer that told me she was a wash still hasn't refunded my money.

6. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

This comment seems to be very informative. The pup got off to a poor start through no fault of its own. This is fairly obvious.
    For awhile, those working with her spent time trying to get her to do what they wanted...instead of what she needed. When you
    finally began to help her things got better. The trainer may have said she was a wash, but that apparently was not the issue. After
    you started doing what should have been done earlier (recent posts)....had some fun...things changed...and you think a refund
    is OK? :h

Photos of first retrieve, first duck and first quail.....and you want a refund.........I don't think so. :reader :no

bullpinnie likes this.
  7. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Awesome! That makes it all worth it. Shows you what some "trainers" know.

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

not necessarily. Trainer said he could fix, but for lots of money. there is such a thing as "throwing good money after bad".