Puppy Stage Pro Training Question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by black&blueshoulder, Sep 9, 2016.

1. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

I'm making plans for my next pup who if things go as planned will be only six months next October. Considering budgeting to getting some pro help with the training.

Is pro training within the age range of 4 to 8 months worthwhile/what could I hope for a good trainer to accomplish during that stage with 3-4 months in their hands?
    Or should I do what I can do during that time and send her in February, after duck season at 10 or so months old?
    Or both?
    My factors:
    -Most of what is accomplished with most dogs at the early stage I think I can handle.
    -I am planning to be off work second half of season at 7.5 to 9.5 months old and provide train a lot and get some exposure in the field.

This next one I want to make the best of it's potential (gun dog wise, in my hands and maybe try the hunt test thing)

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

The most efficient thing would be to give your pup pre-basics from 7 weeks to 6 months. Send your pup to the best young-dog pro you can find, and leave him for six months while he puts a full set of Basics onboard. You'll always be glad you did.

EvanG

black&blueshoulder likes this.
  3. black&blueshoulder

Thanks Evan your opinion/advice is much appreciated. I will be utilizing your program this time around

Doc E likes this.
  4. EvanG

Anytime. :amen

EvanG

5. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

B&B
    If you are going to spend the money on a pro, be sure to spend the time to research the breeding you want in your pup. I know a very good field trial pro in Northern Calif. that also takes in a few hunting dogs but she only trains the ones from very strong field trial pedigrees because she wants the training to be easy.

We send our pups off to a pro at 6 month for a 7 or 8 month period. During the first 4 months we have them, we do obedience everyday but our real concentration is on developing retrieving skills and a love of retrieving. By the time we send them away, they are doing 250 yd singles, simple doubles and have a basic idea of handling....and they are fanatics about retrieving. A well bred young dog can achieve much more at an early age than the pace you see in most training manuals. I believe early learning makes a better adult retriever.

We socialize them by taking them everywhere with us. The pup is almost always close to one of us. We believe strong bonding makes a better retriever and we are committed to keeping a dog once we buy it.

black&blueshoulder and Doc E like this.
  6. black&blueshoulder

Thank you Russ, I couldn't agree more regarding researching the breeding I want in my pup. The pup will be out of my female who has plans to be bred to a very impressive young FT dog. Really excited about the potential I'm hoping is passed on to the pups.

Actually, I totally agree with all that you said. Thanks for the advice :tu

7. Misty Marsh

Misty Marsh Elite Refuge Member

Nothing to add here, all great advice.

8. black&blueshoulder

This is what I've decided to do and was fortunate to get my new pup a spot with who would be my first choice of trainers. If I can afford another couple months I might leave her longer but right now the plan is she'll go at 5 months old for 4 months

9. EvanG

Good. That should get you within two months of finishing Basics.

EvanG