purchasing extended warranty

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Feb 26, 2013.

1. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

Guys, I just purchased a 2012 F150 with about 33K miles on it. I am considering buying a 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty. Cost would range from $1500 to $2500 depending on the company. I am looking at warranties from both Route 66 and Z Series from CNA National Warranty Corp. Does anybody have experience (good or bad) with either of these warranty companies? Also, I see in the fine print that they may ask for copies of all service records and can deny a claim if everything wasn't done according to the manufacturer's recommendations. That scares me some because if I'm 20 miles late on an oil change, they could deny me. But I wonder if the warranty would still be a good idea in case of electrical problems, transmission, etc. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

What you have to consider is how you are going to drive it. Also it only goes to 100K miles not 133k they don't tell you that. Any new truck will go 100k and you have to figure what is the worst that is going to happen? Tranny, rear end? you can replace both or get them rebuilt for 2500 if you know the right people or go to a new car junkyard and get low mileage pieces cheap and have them installed. Heck you can buy an engine for that from the junk yard with 10-20k miles on it too.

With that said you know what my answer is....save your money, because after 100K you burnt that money and then if the rear end goes...you are screwed out of your 2500 bucks.

3. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

If you are going to purchase one which is a good idea. Make sure you buy a FORD ESP. The companies your a talking about are aftermarket companies. This means not all dealerships will honor their warranties. If you buy an ESP from Ford it is honored at all Ford dealerships. You also have to purchase it before you hit 36,000 miles on it. Then it can be a New Car warranty that is extended instead of a used car warranty that is more expensive. Just visit your local dealer get a price on it. Then PM me and I'll tell you what you should pay for it they are negotiable just like a vehicle is.

4. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

Great advice guys. Thanks

5. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

If you bargain right you should be able to get one for 6-700 bucks, but I wouldn't give a nickle for one as I can replace any critical part for 1000-1500 and it will last 100K easily. I have bought at least 10 new trucks and run them to over 100k and never had an issue.