Purple Loosestrife????

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by GoldenBB, Apr 24, 2002.

1. GoldenBB

GoldenBB Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone had a problem with this be for? a small river comming into my lake had both shorelines infested with it. Turned my hunting spot into a birdless fall for two years.
    The DNR did plant some kind of bug that ate it, it is now gone, but the birds still stay away from it. Do you think the birds will come bact to the area???

2. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator Moderator

Purple Loosestrife

I'm sorry I have never heard of the stuff, probably seen it and didn't know what it was.

As for the birds, they are creatures of habit and if they were once there chances are they will be back after the water restores itself from the infestation. Just cause the plant appears to be gone it may take a year or two for the water and ph levels to return to what they once were.

3. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

Well, BB, here's the rub...

Those beetles they released to eat the loosestrife...what they gonna eat when it's all gone?

Agencies started using beetles to control purple loosestrife because other methods have proven pretty unsuccessful (cultivation and mowing for several years works okay, burning doesn't help, and inundation takes up to 5 years of constant flooding to eradicate it), and the chemicals that will kill it are not approved for use in wetlands or aquatic cultures. So, in comes the beetles!

Loosestrife is a herbacious, flowering wetland plant. It is HIGHLY invasive, and quickly forms monocultures...meaning it kills everything else by "out-competing." Now that it's gone, what do you think those same beetles are eating? Yup! Other herbacious wetland plants...like SMARTWEEDS, etc.!

I don't know what the ducks in your lake were eating, but there's a good chance that those beetles will keep it eradicated too. If you're lucky, you'll have the native plants back in a few years.

4. Marshmaster

Marshmaster Elite Refuge Member

5. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

Had a professor here at the college I'm at who studied purple loosestrife and those beetles for a few years.

The beetles are not natives. Before they were brought in, they were pretty carefully studied to make sure that they would ONLY eat purple loosestrife rather than turning to other stuff (either after the loosestrife was gone, or, even worse, in preference to the loosestrife).

Nasty stuff, especially here in the western part of Minnesota. The purple loosestrife is a cultivated plant that was only outlawed for sale in ND in the past couple years. "Not a problem" there. Hah.

Because it self-seeds, it's still in a lot of gardens even though it isn't sold anymore.

Just what we need, isn't it? Another non-native that we can't get rid of. Like tumbleweed. Or dandelions. Musk thistles.

BTW, Marsh...a lot of those links to the DNR website didn't go through. I wonder if they're disappearing as the DNR redesigns their site.

6. Marshmaster

Marshmaster Elite Refuge Member

7. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Elite Refuge Member

SM hit the nail on the head there!

Ever hear the expression "Man that stuff grows like weeds!"? Well Loosestrife grows 10 times faster than weeds! It was just a problem in our northern states a few years ago. Now we have it here in Indiana in great quantity. They are areas where you cannot kill the stuff. That bettle thang scares me too SM, you're right.

I don't think you guys have it down south yet Duckmen. I could be wrong tho. If you don't have, pray you never get it. It chokes things off like natural food sources and has absolutely no use.

8. GoldenBB

GoldenBB Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info, I heard the beatle only were attacking thr PL. I was and still am concerned the beatles will atack the native plants. I am headding up to the lake soon and am going to check the spot out. I hope the birds come back soon.

9. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

Boy that stuff sounds like an aquatic Kudzu. I hope it can't survive down here.

10. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member