Put and take hunting...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Bryan Pettet, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Flyin40

Flyin40 Senior Refuge Member

1 a : to pursue for food or in sport <hunt buffalo> b : to manage in the search for game <hunts a pack of dogs>
    2 a : to pursue with intent to capture <hunted the escapees> b : to search out : SEEK

Rugters

It is hunting regardless of your take on it but it will never be as fun as wild game.

Question, You come a state where it is common practice to bait deer and it works because of the dense population of deer and lack of nutrional food, meaning lack of alot of farmland, do you feel hunting over bait in Michigan is hunting? How about spreading disease because the deer come in contact more deer than they would naturally, and Michigan has a big problem with diseases thats why baiting in Michigan is looking at being banned.
    Baiting doesn't work here in Ohio, too much other nutrion rich food for the deer to eat.

This should get some replies

Flyin

2. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Food for thought boys. I live next door to a game farm. That game farm raises aroun 40k birds a year. A good part of their business is shipping 10k birds to South Dakota for stocking. So you may just be hunting "pen birds" when you don't know it.:l

3. Flyin40

Funny you said that. I know of 2 game farms in Ohio that ship to South Dakota and the funny thing is one of the guys releases the birds on public lands. I was going to bring it up ealier but ended deleting it from my post prior to submitting it. For SD its a HUGE money business and they do put pen raised birds on public land and walk in areas. It keeps the out of staters coming back. I doubt many will admit it though.

Flyin

4. ripline

Exactly!!!

5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

And that my friends is why you better do your homework hard and true if your driving out west to hunt ditch parrots. There are alot of states out there that stock their public lands and there are a ton of "Guides & Lodges" out west that stock their birds. Now most of those that do stock will have a season typical of any preserve back east where its from Sept til March. If they are running only during the states seasons, they probably don't stock birds. Another good sign of a stocked outfit is the amount of land they hunt on. If they are hunting on under 3000 acres, and they run big groups all the time, they are stocking cause the population of the birds couldn't support the amount of hunters they handle.

Do your homework, talk to the references and check out their seasons. Some will call it supplemental additions to the population, but any way you look at it, its stocking the birds. You can shoot them 10 minutes from home and put the $2000 you would have spent into a nice clays gun or a good club membership!

Happy Hunting
    Doug

6. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

SD Game Fish and Parks does not release pen raised birds. It would be a waste of money.

7. Flyin40

SD has released bird on public land, regardless who does it is happening. If SD manages the public land then there you are.......................... All I know is Ohio pen raised birds are going to SD and on public land, unless the game farm breeders are lying which I don't think they are.

Flyin

8. wingsnpaws

wingsnpaws Senior Refuge Member

It seems strange that there are so many farms in South Dakota have pheasant pens on them. What could they be doing with all of them? HMMMMMMM, it is a mystery.

9. ripline

Or a conspiracy!:rolleyes: I just chuckle when I read about all the "purists" who won't hunt pen birds when there's a good chance they are. I talked to the game farm owner last night and he said the around 50 thousand birds are shipped to SD from WI alone. He said that most of the birds are being set loose on the larger ranches and public areas. So have fun boys. It's a long trip to hunt farm birds.:l :nutz :sp

10. setter

setter Elite Refuge Member

many guys are hunting pen raised pheasants and don't know it,as a matter of fact M&M shooting preserve ships pen raised mallards to Arkansas,picture that. first shipment went last week with more to be shipped-setter