Put and take hunting...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Bryan Pettet, Jan 30, 2003.

1. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

That's probably the south's solution to short stopping.:D

2. Flyin40

Flyin40 Senior Refuge Member

I know birds get shipped but..........theres alot of wild pheasants there too and I would like to try it. Your going to run into wild birds and I don't really have that opportunity here in Ohio so it will be worth it.

Flyin

3. Ruby's pal

Ruby's pal Elite Refuge Member

Flyin,
    I agree with you. The grass always looks greener from Ohio when you are looking for pheasant hunting. I also use pen raised birds for dog training. I have a friend that has land he "rents out" for dog training. He has a state dog training area permit and buys day old chicks from Colorado. These birds are about as close to wild as I have seen and the price is reasonable. It is a good time for the dogs and a good time for me.
    I also want to head out West and try some hunting in Iowa, or the Dakotas this fall. I lived in Washington State for years and miss hunting there.
    Good luck.
    Pat

4. Flyin40

I just picked up 15 chuckars and 30 quail Wed for training. Had a great time yesterday and the dogs did great. I'll probably finish the birds this weekend. Just can't wait for dove and goose to come it, less than 2 months for us in Ohio

Flyin

5. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

As you all have pointed out, there are farm raised birds being released on public land. Hunting Put and take birds, allows wild (and farm raised sometimes) birds a chance to keep breeding. the more hunters on Pheasant farms, the less in the wild. If you shoot a wild bird when dog training on public ground, you release a farm bird in it's place... We do need the farms, or we would be without birds. Once we started messing with wildlife, hunderds of years ago, it became our responsability to manage it wisely. Even hunters who never go to a farm, have definately benifited from them.
    Flyin40, I assure you, there are indeed wild birds here in Ohio. They are the released birds that make it through a season alive. I've seen some Pheasants in the wild as late as last week. Once a bird gets enough survival sence to survive a year in the wild, he has to be considered "wild" even if he was farm raised. Surviving foxes, yotes, Hawks, Owls, and that first (if not second) year of hunters isnt done with no wild instincts....
    I have had birds released here that won't even move untill you literaly kick them, but there are also the ones that give the dogs a run for their money, flush at 75 yards and fly back into the thick stuff. I've even seen em land in trees... I've been told that wild birds always flush over water if it is available. Well, I've let a few go that have flown from public grounds, over a river and onto private farmland... Could have sot em, but then they would have been washed down stream, and the current was too much for even a lab.

6. Flyin40

I know there are wild birds in Ohio and they are far and few between. I have a farm I hunt that has pheasants on it but there are so few I won't shoot any. I want to put out some hens next spring to see if they will breed. I see more rooster than hens, actually barely any hens. Its my dove hunting spot so I'm not really interested in shooting them, just watching them fly out of the corn or walk out is pretty neat. I don't ever see them getting populated again in that area.

I can so there are no pheasants where I'm from in South east Ohio, and thats in 20 counties. I would say theres some North of you just by the looks of the habitat. Thats not counting the ones near a preserve in South East Ohio.

7. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

Absolutely.... there are not pheasants in huntable numbers here, but there could be.... I honestly don't think your idea about putting out some hens is a bad one. You might be surprized in a few years.... With all the farmland we have hear, I don't see why, if they were released in mating pairs around here, they wouldn't prosper.

8. Ruby's pal

Ruby's pal Elite Refuge Member

Two spots,
    You can help to restore pheasant numbers in SW Ohio by coming out and helping your local Pheasants Forever Chapter. The Miami Valley Chapter that I am active with. We are always looking for more conservation minded people to help get critical habitat on the ground... plus we like to have fun every now and then with a shoot, or a fun hunt. Let me know if you are interested.
    Pat

9. setter

setter Elite Refuge Member

been guiding for m&m shooting preserve for over twenty years,they raised the birds in pens away from people,birds are fed by a mechanical feeding system so birds have no exposure to people and remain pretty wild. trust me their are days when we get 75 yard flushes ,no fault of the dogs. we hunt state released birds that are also pretty flighty. 50 years ago on my grandfathers farm we had plenty of wild quail and few pheasants,all gone . mostly due to loss of habitat and changes in farming practices,ahh the price of progress,more crops ,less hedgerows for cover and breeding grounds. on any given day we could find 10 -15 coveys of quail and a few wild pheasants,now you hunt state birds and wild woodcock or go to a preserve or join a semi-wild club and stock your own birds. it is all changing,if you have good wild bird hunting,treasure it . pen raised birds raised in good flight pens are challenging for a dog to handle and can be tough for even a good winngshot -setter

10. baileydog

baileydog Elite Refuge Member

The pheasant that every one shoots in S.D.,N.D. Iowa, ETC are all imported from, China. It was just done a long time ago. So lets realize that re-stocking them in just like when they stock fish in to a public lake. I say hey re-stock them the more the better. Just let me know where they are .:l