Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Puttin' on the sneak

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by 460461whatever, Mar 8, 2010.

1. 460461whatever

460461whatever Refuge Member

I know the preferred method of shooting lots of birds is by decoying, but I just want to ask if many do well by sneaking on them.

Every year, we haul the deaks along, but have only tried them the first year. That was 1998. We got into a field that you couldn't hardly chase them out of, set out four dozen silos and three dozen shells. The first morning, we had three people mouth calling... nothing... wouldn't even look at us. Ran an hour and a half to Grand Forks for an electronic caller, and set up again the next morning. I think the lowest flock was 80-90 yards.

We've been sneaking ever since. Of course we don't get a lot, 1 to 13, but we are not hard to please.

I know some may look down on this method of hunting, but we find it to be quite challenging, much like crawling for that trophy antelope (only harder).

Do the cow silos work as well as they say?

2. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

one that was no where near enough dekes..

and 1-15 birds on a sneak.. you can get alot closer than that..

the preferd way to kill birds is dekes.. the way to kill LOTS of birds is sneaking

3. 460461whatever

460461whatever Refuge Member

I have nothing against decoying into blinds. We set up for waterfowl every fall for ducks and geese. We just can't spend that kind of money on snows. And, from what I'm reading, tactics are getting more and more expensive each year to fool the snows. In the dakotas, it's not that easy to get close enough for any shot while sneaking, especially if I'm alone. First, we find a flock that might be sneakable, then try to find the landowner. There usually isn't any cover, ditches, fence rows, or land contour that get you close enough for any attempt. Most of our sneaks result in no shots fired. And, with the dark geese and ducks mixed in with them, we don't flock shoot. It seems we only get in three or four sneaks, and attempted sneaks, in a day. This is why I'm asking for advice from others that don't find sneaking offensive.

Am I, and my buddies, the only ones that don't "ground swat" and "flock shoot"? I don't think so. We've had a couple sneaks that made the idea tempting, though. We're just accustomed to picking a bird per shot.

How do others get close enough to jump shoot these large spring flocks from the pastures and fields?

4. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Sneaking geese in the Dakotas is much tougher than in Arkansas and other levy states. The ability to get on top of a mess of birds is huge in the South.

5. rascal

rascal Elite Refuge Member

I have seen guys hide behind a cow cut out. Sometimes it worked real good and other times the birds took off while they were still 200 yards away. The only times we were successful there was a little cover between us and small groups of snows on the water.

6. CrahNX

CrahNX Elite Refuge Member

As much as people will try to deny it, sneaking snow geese is both the most effective and most pure way of hunting period! My group tried the decoy thing back when the Spring season first opened and found it to be a complete waste of time. Since then we have sneak hunted exclusively and have had consistent killing ever since. The group I hunt with admittedly does not take this artform very seriously, but the group my brother hunts with basically has it down to a science. They typically limit out or are very close to limiting each and every day they are in the great state of South Dakota and last year they made three trips there and back to drop off dead birds over the course of a couple of weeks cause their truck simply ran out of room and the conditions were perfect to really pile up the birds.

A couple of quick hints without giving away a technique that has taken years to perfect are to be selective in the birds you are going to sneak and play the wind. Over time, you will learn how the birds react based on the specific conditions (field layouts, wind speed/direction, cover etc) and can run your sneak to take advantage of these scenarios. If you want to be successful you need to look at each situation from a goose's perspective and accept that the most simple option usually isnt your best. Also, stop thinking like a human and use the landscape to your advantage just like a fox/yote would, and finally dont ever be lazy in your pursuit. Basically transform yourself from a hunter into a predator and act accordingly just like our ancient ancestors would.

As far as cow decoys...at one time they did work quite well and still can if the conditions are right. We had one good sneak over Lucielle two years ago and knocked down a pile of birds and my brother's group got Cooter within forty yards of a small flock last year and killed 70 some, but again, you have to know when it may work and when its simply a waste of time.

7. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

When there are lots of birds in many fields we prefer to push them rather than sneak them. More birds taken in less time. Minimal chance that someone else will mess your sneak up.

8. TexasGeese

TexasGeese Elite Refuge Member

Do you fire into a herd of antelope like you would geese? :l Sorry, just couldn't resist. :nutz

9. blklabs2

blklabs2 Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted both ways, I now prefer decoys, I guess age is a factor:rolleyes:but when we were sneaking we killed alot more birds,It is a tough method and if done right,wind, cover, number of hunters, all play a important part,we once snuck on a pond, got with in 20yds of 1000s of snows,oniy to find equal amounts of ducks ,canadas ,swans all mixed in!!ended up with 4 crawled in mud ,water, plowing to get close,we usually ended up with 300 + bird a 5day trip but alot of work !now give me decoys a layot blind, if we kill 10 or 20 thats fine!!!! Good luck on you sneaks you earn the birds!! Sneaking or decoying you earnem, thats what makes them fun and a challenge!

10. Garrett Stites

Garrett Stites Senior Refuge Member

A couple of quick hints without giving away a technique that has taken years to perfect are to be selective in the birds you are going to sneak and play the wind. Over time, you will learn how the birds react based on the specific conditions (field layouts, wind speed/direction, cover etc) and can run your sneak to take advantage of these scenarios. If you want to be successful you need to look at each situation from a goose's perspective and accept that the most simple option usually isnt your best. Also, stop thinking like a human and use the landscape to your advantage just like a fox/yote would, and finally dont ever be lazy in your pursuit. Basically transform yourself from a hunter into a predator and act accordingly just like our ancient ancestors would.

He just hit the nail on the head, I perfer sneaking instead of setting out 700 decoys in the middle of the night in shin deep mud, but thats just my opinion,we consider it more of a artform and know its no where as difficult as decoying snows. we will usually pass on 3-4 fields before we find the right one we want to put a sneak on. I have also heard of people having alot of success with these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZPRcMqUx54 instead of a cow decoy. Hope this helps.