Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Puttin' on the sneak

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by 460461whatever, Mar 8, 2010.

1. ToxicShot

ToxicShot Elite Refuge Member

Here's a stupid question: how does Snow goose taste?

2. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

I take a cooler slam full to the processor every year and have smoked sausage made. It is great!

3. jcnelsn1

jcnelsn1 Senior Refuge Member

They get a bad rap (I think so guys can justify throwing them in a ditch). IMHO snow goose is every bit as good as a mallard and better than a Canada.

4. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Anyone ever make jerky out of theirs? Any recipes out there?

5. Dogbox

Dogbox Senior Refuge Member

I've fixed a bunch, lots of different ways. Most tasted good, but a few have tasted absolutely awful, no matter how they were fixed. Having said that, I've also had mallards that tasted like raw fish smells and canadas that weren't fit to eat. Prolly because of whatever they had been eating.

6. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

Marinate in salt, pepper,soy sauce,Whorchester,and a bit of A-1 over night.Wrap in bacon bake 1 hr @ 350. Let cool some throw away the goose and eat the bacon.

I have killed snows that were with Canadas and they didnt taste any diffrent than Canadas. I would NOT putthem in the same class as mallards,more like meganser.I have seen the things feeding in a land fill.

I make jerky and sausage out of mine and it eats quite well.

Bob I use those packages of jerky mix and then add some cayenne pepper.

7. GunNRun

GunNRun Senior Refuge Member

Anybody know the difference between a snow goose and a bowling ball?

You can eat a bowling ball if you have to! :l

8. TexasGeese

TexasGeese Elite Refuge Member

Jalapeno/Cheese sausage at a 50/50 mix is what I usually get made. No gamey taste whatsoever. Each year I give some away to people who would never eat goose and they always ask me for more.

9. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Sausage, gumbo, chicken-fried. The late-spring snows (late-April through May) are likely the best waterfowl available in Canada (IMHO) - so fat they pop when they hit the dirt. I agree entirely - "sky carp" is an excuse to dump birds they had no intention of eating anyway.

10. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

That's always been my understanding too, Ken, and I attended a USFWS working group meeting in Lafayette, Lousisiana, when the CO was proposed and that was exactly their purpose and intent - going so far as to solicit Congress to rewrite MBTA to facilitate the CO in the first place!

As for hunter participation, it's certainly higher now than it was the first CO. I'd almost argue it's only now becoming truly mainstream.