Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Puttin' on the sneak

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by 460461whatever, Mar 8, 2010.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I lived next door to one of the refuge managers here.They did a study before the CO came into place.Both here in ND and in La.They were the first ones to use e-callers.I watched birds decoy unbelievably.They took many birds and tested them for fat reserves.After testing they figured that total harrassment up the flyway would leave many females in very poor condition upon reaching the nesting frounds.

2. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Seems like way more than 10 years ago....

I had just finished a three-day weekend hunt out of Katy, Texas and decided at the last minute to extend my trip to experience this historic event. However, my outfitter was full so I went with a young kids group.

Had one other hunter in the group who was prepared as he had an extension tube but for the most part it wasn't the best of days. We ended up with maybe 20 or so birds and most of them came from a roost area the guide "allowed" the extension tube hunter access. And it wasnt a roost bust but he shot cripples left over from the regular season that had just ended....

Those were the days.....I think?

3. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

They are a lot smarter than they were durring that first CO season.We used white "bathroom" trash bags that we filled with air and tied to dowel rods,for the first few years,then we went all out and bought some Texas rags,then we were sh......I mean walkin in high cotton,with our top of the line decoys and our Johnny Stewart cassette caller.

They would sit closer to roads,and ditches,unlike the ones today that prefer a cut bean field.

It really seems funny no but I remember reading on the Avery boards and someone was asking Tom Mathews if they were considering making full body snow decoys and he said there was not a big enough market for them !

I can remember going snow goose hunting and being the only group doing it,other than a few "kids" on the weekends.Times sure have changed.

4. RoadHunter

RoadHunter Banned

I love shooting roost ponds just before 1st light---my friends wife makes an unbelievable snow goose sauce---yum yum :tu:tu:tu

5. chevy01234

chevy01234 Refuge Member

OOOPS

Sorry I didn't realize this post was a year old....

6. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Having withdrawls already?

In any case, agreed!

7. chevy01234

chevy01234 Refuge Member

Sorry for bumping a year old post!! That's what happens when you only get on here a couple times a year!

I still think we should kill them all though!!

8. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

You should be sorry! :fp

9. chevy01234

chevy01234 Refuge Member

Been doped up a couple days due to the flu...it won't happen again!

10. BoB_25

BoB_25 Senior Refuge Member

I stop jumping snows after this one. 4 seconds of excitement for 3 1/2 hours of he!!......

191, 4 bands one double band ($20). Six shooters 5 shots apiece (I'm just glad no one had mag extenders on!). Countless shots cleaning up cripples...

[​IMG]