Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Putting a winch on your boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jbrown, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

I'm gonna mount a winch on the front of my duck boat, any suggestions on the best way to do this? Have we had posts on this subject before? I don't know how to find old posts on this subject

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Bad idea in my opinion

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I know of one person that installed winches on all 4 corners of his boat. He is a commercial guide that hunts on the Mississippi River and has a monster of a boat (custom made @ 30' long). He said he was tired of being stranded on sand bars that were here today and gone tomorrow. I guess it works for him.

4. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

This is common in Michigan for hunting some of the state managed areas. Guys pull 1542 jons with 23hp longtails over 100' dikes every day. Most run a Lewis chainsaw winch and weld up reinforcement on the front of the boat to handle the load. There are a lot of pictures if you search on the michigan sportsman site.

5. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Do a portable winch, where the winch goes into a cradle, the cradle slides into a 2" receiver. Just weld a 2" receiver to a heavy duty plate and weld to the bow of the boat.

That way you can have the thing strapped down in a storage compartment until you need to use it, then just pop it in, hook it to a battery and go. Simple, keeps the winch clean and dry when not in use, also keeps it from being smashed on something, making noise, etc...

I do that for my truck, I have a 2" receiver built into my steel rear and front bumper, so I can put my winch in either end to get myself out of whatever messed up situation I'm in.

Just make sure that 2" receiver is heavily welded to a backing plate and heavily welded to the boat, or you may just tear your boat instead of pulling yourself out.

freefall and Fowler267 like this.
  6. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys for your post. I need the winch on my boat to help pull the boat over some big rice field dikes. Hope everyone has a great season!