PVC Drain pipe

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by KAHunter, Jul 27, 2012.

1. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have a small impoundment that we flood each year. In years past We have simply filled in the end of the drainage ditch to flood and dug it out in the spring to drain. I want to control the water better ( and I am tired of hand digging it) and I was thinking of putting in a pvc pipe with an elbow to control water level a littl better. I want to be able to rotate it to let the water go up or down as needed. Is there anything I need to put around the pipe itslef that is buried in the dirt so the water wont run down it and ultimately create a leak? Is this an effective way to control water? I have heard of this before I just dont want it to leak half way through the season when we need water for birds. Any sugvgestions on how to do this right would be great. Its only about 2 acres Thanks

Glad to finally get on this site. The info in the habitat forum is always interesting for me. Waterfowl habitat creation and management is a big reason I love this sport so much. Hoepfully I can contribute to some questions other people have.

2. Mslater

Mslater Refuge Member

You can buy anti seep collars from Agri Drain that go around PVC pipe.

Www.agridrain.com

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Look up seabreeze culvert website. I have had them ship me flash board risers toseveral different projects and all were great.

4. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

Where are they on the site? Thanks!

5. Mslater

Mslater Refuge Member

Click "pipes and accessories" at the bottom of page then click "anti seep collars".

6. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

If you are only dealing with 2 acres of surface water, and assuming not more than 36" deep, you can get by with any number of inexpensive ANNUAL depth control methods.

As an example ... you could bury a length of 6" PVC pipe through the berm that serves as the impoundment wall and take it out near a deeper part of the impoundment when flooded. Add a 6" PVC slip X slip 90 degree elbow at the inpoundment end of the pipe. Do NOT glue the horizontal pipe and elbow together ... force fit tight and use a rubber mallet if needed to seat the pipe and elbow together.

Cut and add another length of pipe as a riser vertically coming up from the open end of the elbow. The length of that riser should be long enough so that you can manually rotate the riser AND elbow at the same time (from a boat or using waders) which will provide you with an "adjustable" water level outlet. in 30" of water I'd use a 54" riser that would allow the pond to range between full at 36" down to 6" if you wished ... or completely empty if you pull the 90 degree elbow. Install a 45 degree elbow on the top of that riser and a piece of cage wire over the open end of the elbow to serve as a strainer.

As long as your impoundment isn't subjected to running water, you shouldn't need anti-seep collars on either end of the pipe that penetrates the berm. If you draw the water down each spring you'll be able to inspect and correct infrequent seepage probelms then. You may end up with digging critter problems but a no-seep device won't eliminate that problem.

If you need further explanatipn or a drawing, let me know via PM and I'll try to help.

7. Cappy_TX

I'm not much of a draftsman but see if this makes any sense to you.

[​IMG]

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

All you need to kill ducks in Norfolk are decoys that look like a loaf of bread!:joker

Seabreeze produces a very good quality product!

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I always thought you flipped around your vertical pipe to the dry side of your berm and could turn it there. It should work the same and you stay dry but the outflow will come out at a funky angle.

10. Cappy_TX

Not knowing how far he needed to carry the discharge side of the outlet piping away from the berm, I showed the vertical riser in the pond. Most likely he wont be even 30" deep (especially for puddle ducks) and therefore the riser being located in the water shouldn't be a problem to walk to assuming that he has a pair of waders. ;)

I've found it nice for my needs to be able to rotate the riser and inlet to whatever pond depth desired. It's also nice to have the discharge water at or below grade leaving the berm.