Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Quagga Mussels....your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Mar 17, 2009.

1. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

So recently I have been very busy. With the new bill going through the house on the Quagga Mussel Boating permit, the officals wanting to close part of the Boise River to Power Boats, and about 10 thousand other lovely projects I forgot to see what everyone here thought of the new bill that is in the house. Its basically a bill that makes all power boats have a $10 sticker, non-motorized have a $5 and out of state boats would have a $20 sticker. Its basically going to funding to try and prevent the Zebra and Quagga mussels from getting in Idaho's waters. I'm 100% for it. Certain people already think they are here and I would have to agree. But atleast we can finally get some permits on the non-motorized boats. I'm curious what the Quagga and Zebra mussel would do to Idahos waterfowling if it gets here. Actually if it got in the Snake River it would effect the entire Pacific Northwest Flyway. Just thought I would see what everyone thinks.

2. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

Nasty little buggers. I went to an inspection class last year and the threat is very, very real, if they're not here already.

The part I'm irked about is exempting boats under 10', which is mainly PWC's. They're just as capable as speading them as any other watercraft.

It looks just like another case of the legislature protecting their own.:mad:

3. swampswimmingshrek

I could be wrong but I thought is was only non motorized that where under 10' and that were inflatable?

4. Trav28

I hope your right, I read it in the Statesman, so it's a 50/50 chance they got it right.

But I can completely see Boise trying to exempt PWC's. Here's the link I got it from. Might be worth checking into.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/531/story/699976.html

5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

What do I think?

My first priority would be to blockade the Owyhee River and road from 1A and 2C plates...:flame :flame

j/k

It sounds like a serious problem and I support whatever the science supports, not the politicians.

I imagine it will be like trying to hold back the tide.

6. swampswimmingshrek

Yeah the statesman are idiots. I never trust what they write. I have the bill at the office I will look when I get back to work. When we met with Anderson I'm pretty sure they weren't exempt.

7. Trav28

Let me know. I never thought I'd say this, but I hope you're right.:l

I wonder if this means we'll be getting a new steam washer? Yeah, right.:joker

8. swampswimmingshrek

Yeah here is how it reads. So Jet Ski's are included.

(a) Motorized vessels:
    (i) Ten dollars ($10.00) per vessel registered in the state of Idaho prior to launch
    into the public waters of the state;
    (ii) Twenty dollars ($20.00) per vessel registered outside the state of Idaho prior
    to launch into the public waters of the state.

(b) Nonmotorized vessels: Five dollars ($5.00) per vessel prior to launch into the public
    waters of the state.
    (c) Commercial outfitters with nonmotorized fleets exceeding five (5) vessels shall be
    afforded a prorated group rate of thirty dollars ($30.00) for six (6) to ten (10) vessels;
    fiftyfive
    dollars ($55.00) for eleven (11) to twenty (20) vessels; and one hundred dollars
    ($100) for twentyone
    (21) or more vessels.
    (2) Upon payment of the fee as provided in this section, the payor shall be issued a
    protection against invasive species sticker that shall be displayed on the vessel in a manner as
    prescribed by the rules of the department. Stickers shall be considered in full force and effect
    through December 31 of the year of issue.
    (3) Fees shall be collected by the department or authorized vendor. Fees collected
    pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the invasive species fund established in
    section 221911,
    Idaho Code. For the purpose of this section, "vessel" is defined in section
    677003(
    22), Idaho Code. All vessels are subject to the provisions of this section, with the
    exception of small rafts and other inflatable vessels less than ten (10) feet in length.

Here is the Bill if you would like to read it. Its only one page.
    http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2009/H0213.pdf

9. Trav28

Thanks.

Glad to see there's not PWC loophole. I also like how they failed to mention which department would oversee it.

10. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if Oregon will respond with higher fees for Idaho boats like they did several years ago when Idaho charged higher fees for OOS boats. (Someone correct me if my memory is wrong on this)

... That may get waterswatter the result he wants.