Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Quagga Mussels....your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

Yes, but you must sprinkle with pixie dust before entering the water or they won't work.

2. Excaliber

Excaliber Elite Refuge Member

Some of you guys aren't getting it. These mussels are bad news. Several scenarios could happen and none of them are good. These mussels ruin every system they get into.

Idaho is getting money that will be used for the clean water act. Maybe some of that money can be used to build washdown stations. There will have to be some kind of a washdown procedure in place and people to inspect hulls and bilges. That's just the way it is.

There is no money grab. 10 dollars for an inspection sticker isn't going to kill anyone yet it wont fund the system either. What will a sticker show since you still have to be inspected every time before you launch?

This is some serious stuff. Other states will resuse entry to Idaho boats if we do not comply. There are waters in Ca where you can't take a private boat onto that body of water. All boats must be moored there if you want to fish there.( See lake Casitas)

What I do see are less areas to launch boats which will create some crowded conditions at the loading /ramp areas.
    All boats launching will have to be inspected.

3. decoymaker

decoymaker New Member

Isn't this another issue that the IWA should be involved in? The write-up for the mission statement indicates that the IWA will have interaction withpolicy makers, this looks like an issue that could have impact on both waterfowl hunting access and on habitat. The IWA needs to have interaction not only with the F&G but with the Idaho legislature on issues that may have an effect on waterfowl hunting and habitat. I don't see anything about the legislature in the mission statement write-up. Go to other waterfowl association sites, most have a component that follows legislative issues. Of course the mussels may be a good food source for bluebills so diver hunters may want them.

4. Vickman

Vickman Senior Refuge Member

From the sound of it, we would probably have to break out all of our decoys before and after each hunt and spray them down. I can see a smaller spread being used. The days of giant spreads on the water would disappear. Anyone want to buy some floater? Vickman

5. brycec

brycec Senior Refuge Member

The interesting thing I saw in the bill was that the money is just deposited directly into the invasive species fund. I am understanding this to mean that it may not even go towards fighting the mussels and could go to things like invasive weeds.

Bill text:
    "(3) Fees shall be collected by the department or authorized vendor. Fees collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the invasive species fund established in section 221911, Idaho Code."

Information on invasive species fund:
    http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title22/T22CH19.htm

This fund can be used for anything determined to be an invasive species. Sounds to me like this is a slush fund for subsidized herbicide or something similar. It would be nice to know what or who else contributes to the invasive species fund and where most of the current money in there is going.

6. idduckhntr

idduckhntr Senior Refuge Member

I would think your decoys would dry out enough that you wouldn't have to worry about that. I think they die after an hour of being dry but I could be wrong..

7. IdaHowitzer

IdaHowitzer Elite Refuge Member

Some Bags may hold enough moisture, water keels that don't drain, etc.

8. The Hajj

The Hajj Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

The Idaho State Department of Agriculture is in charge of the Invasive Species Fund and all programs associated with the control and prevention of non-native noxious plants and animals. They have implemented a boat cleaning regulation at Henry's Lake aimed at preventing Eurasion Water Milfoil.

Has anyone been to Henry's Lake and witnessed the boat washing?

If so, where is it done and how long does it take?

Here is the listing from the ISDA 2008 Annual Report:

An aggressive prevention program at Henry?s Lake was initiated by Fremont County in 2008, to prevent the introduction of EWM and other invasive aquatic species. The lake brings in over $15 million a year to the County just from vacationing fisherman and to date, no invasive aquatic species have been detected in the lake. Fremont County along, with local residents and nonprofit groups, received funding through the milfoil program for boat wash stations and educational materials to make fishermen aware of the threat of EWM and other invasive aquatic species to Henry?s Lake. All boats are now required to be cleaned before launching in the lake to prevent the introduction of invasive aquatic species and to protect this valuable resource.

The Hajj

9. Vickman

Vickman Senior Refuge Member

My point was that decoys get shot once in a while and then hold water from then on, anyone on here ever have a decoy like this? I'm sure we all have. Hard to say what they would say about stuff like this. I also notice if the larvae frozen for 72 hours they die. Vickman

10. idduckhntr

idduckhntr Senior Refuge Member

Ya, thats true I never really thought about it that way. I guess it also matters how often you go hunting and how much time your decoys have to dry out. I was just thinking about mine because I go hunting at most twice a week and they are dry every time I go out except when the bag and decoys freeze which I was thinking would have killed them but it soulds like it doesn't.