Quality or Quantity?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by calstefanko, Jan 12, 2017.

1. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Currently I run 3 dozen fullbody geese, 3 dozen silhouettes, 2 dozen shells. Fullbody geese are Hardcore's 1st gen decoys and are almost DSD quality, I love these and will not get rid of them... I am really considering selling my silhouettes and shells and buying a dozen DSD honkers, or Deception outdoors Honkers, Or commercial grade GHG geese (I would buy 2 doz of those). Any experience out there?

2. full choke

full choke Senior Refuge Member

Sometimes it is nice to have those silly's around- heavy fog, and when it is snowing come to mind. If you are hell bent on adding to your old HC's, maybe look at Replica Decoys, they are the guys who made the original HC's. The new ones might blend with the old ones a bit betterthan DSD or whoever. Just a thought.

3. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Whats the replica brand called?

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

RDC, Replica Decoy Company

5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I think you got a good mix if anything just to it

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Quantity has a quality all its' own.

7. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

It really depends on whether you are hunting traffic geese or local, late season, heavy pressured, stale, not necessarily on the x geese. You want numbers if you're hunting traffic birds for the draw power or if you have competition. Local late season geese run a small realistic as possible spread. I have a field in a heavily pressured area I run 350+ full bodies and other areas I run 18 DSD. As far as full bodies, silos and shells I've used them all over the years but personally never been a fan of mixing decoys. Really, you're the only one that knows what will work best for you in your area. Good luck.

8. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

If you are successful with what you got, I wouldn't buy anything.

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Why would you want to blend better? All geese are different sizes and colors. I personally prefer to mix brands, if not brands at least sizes within that brand that you prefer. It makes for a more natural looking spread to have a good mix of sizes shapes, and poses instead of repeats of the same 3-6 poses in exactly the same color and size.

10. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

If you are generally hunting the X, and hides are easy, your plan is good. I really like the suggestion about using RDC next to the original HC's. The DSD honkers are a great choice as well, especially if you live in an area where different size geese are common.