Quality or Quantity?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by calstefanko, Jan 12, 2017.

1. johnliester

johnliester Senior Refuge Member

We run o ne dozen full bodies along with 7 dozen shells. From standard to super mag. never a problem getting birds to decoy when you're in the right spot!

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive mentioned this a number of times.
    Weve sold 11 dozen HC over the past three years and 6 dozen sleeper shells.
    We did keep my 30 some Outlaw silos' 2 dozen LS GHG shells and our 30 DSD We did by 4 RDC.

On a typical hunt a dozen to 18 DSD the 4 RDC , in the snow we added a few shells sometimes
    However the plan is to sell the dozen DSD's hardsides .
    One day nasty weather a spread of quantity of 15 dozen pulled birds from us, but we filled and they ended up with 7
    A good hide and a dozen decoys killed a lot of birds.
    After the deep snow I pulled a sled of 4 shells and 4 DSD.,s and killed our limits 3 days in a row.
    I prefer to hunt over fewer decoys, a whole lot less work than a big spread,. A few days numbers may be helpful, But Im about using quality.

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't sell your decoys. The way fullbodys are right now the geese can't see the difference until they're close enough to shoot in my opinion. I've hunted over dave smiths all the way to homemade decoys. I think realism is a marketing tool to sell decoys.

The most important thing is your hide. Next is decoy placement. If you're hunting an X you only need a dozen or two decoys. If you're hunting traffic you want WAY more. Realism won't help you here. I sold my fullbody's this year so I could buy more socks. In the area I hunt everyone runs 40-150 fullbodys. I went with 120 socks and 80 silhouettes. I shot more birds. It's about giving the geese a different look.

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I hunt an extremely pressured area,with only a few hundred birds all season. We use Avianx honkers and lessers x but generally run at least 3 dozen more than almost every hunter on that area,we do pretty well,but 1 guy uses the same 3 dozen Bigfoot that his dad did 15 years ago,and he kills plenty of birds,my point is pay more attention to the details, like concealment and you will have much more success than worrying about what decoys to use

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  5. salthunter

Geese have 8x vision like most birds.
    Some days, some geese, some places, some weather conditions geese will land in black plastic bags.
    We get fresh geese now and then,.. and any decoy will kill geese. But hunting stale birds it gets a bit tougher with decoys.
    We run nearly all traffic birds. Never once this year were we on the x (could have been but why blow the birds out)
    While realism is a marketing tool, I have experienced over and over how much better hunting is over a premium spread. In our area it makes a difference some days a substantial difference.

6. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Keep the silo's sell the shells and full bodys and buy more silo's

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I don't get the theory of hunting the x will burn an area out. I've heard it recently quite a few times and it blows my mind every time. I've hunted the X dang near every day of the season quite a few season and never burnt an area out, this is with constantly stale geese.

You get in, shoot your geese, and get out in 10 minutes after you limit or get 1 from your limit. You'll never burn a spot out. It's pretty simple.

8. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Is it the decoys or your small decoy spread? I really like your ultra small set up, because I've done the same thing with success on really stale birds. However, would you shoot just as many if you were using the same setup but with original bigfoots? Perhaps you're just hiding better then others. In my area the geese are getting so blind shy that you cant even hide in the decoys anymore. I hunted a field with windrows and the geese were seeing the blinds.

I have a spot that I grew up hunting that you don't even need decoys. There's around 20-30 stumps that must be positioned just right that ducks and geese eat them up. Birds constantly decoy into the stumps. They get to around 20 yards then flair. I've watched it hundreds of times. They must think the stumps are birds. I also started shooting 3 times as many geese when I stopped hunting over straight fullbodys and started using homemade black silhouettes. Not only did I shoot way more birds, most would come in first pass instead of circling a bunch. It was easier and I was using the least realistic decoys possible.

One thing I've learned is that every area is different so what I do that works in my area might not work in yours and vice-versa. However; I've hunted quite a few area's and If what you're doing is different then everyone else it usually works.

9. salthunter

I put a lot of effort into hiding, or hunting from a pit. Yes,often that alone is the difference. And I believe you proved your abilities/experience by posting the question
    "Is it the decoys or your small decoy spread" evidently you know from experience smaller can be more effective, at times.
    Some times itscalling,
    Over the years I ve hunted with dozens of good goose hunters ,.. sometimes guys that showed up on the field.
    Sometimes the same field, same blinds, same calling all things being equal only difference was the DSD's.
    Birds are closer. Landing birds I dont want to shoot into and bumping them .

While not a good argument in my mind some local guys that have hunted the same fields and competed give all the credit to my "$1000 a dozen decoys" those are the guys "hiding in pivots heads, ditches or fencelines.

Would I shoot as many? Well maybe, almost,.. because I would stay out in the field longer to finish. Some days That last bird or two might not show up then I wouldnt.
    My daughter her last year in highschool shot 28 geese, 32 shots, she hasnt shot 200 shotgun rounds he whole life. She just takes those sweet 15-20 yard shots straight in front,.. most of that is the decoys

I dont shoot much, off season I generally shoot 2 or 3 rounds at BSA camp. Most years I only shoot at game,.. mostly geese, mostly close shots Good feet down in front most often.
    That kind of shooting doesn't happen consistently with pressured birds and bigfoots.

six to nine years ago our DSD's spreads had an amazing advantage over other decoy spreads,.. not as much now but still does

10. salthunter

Some times with so few birds to work, and fewer after each hunt;) All of Idaho during peak migration has 50 k geese The x field for about 6 days were the fields next to my place, it was hunted 3 days. in and out, That group of birds left the whole area. If a field has birds around here it is hunted.
    I give permission on a corporate field. In the past if I had 3,4,5 calls to hunt the field,.. often that was where I hunted too