Quest to lose 25lbs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by shell waster, Jul 8, 2018.

1. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

I have been battling weight for 5 five years. I hate how I look and feel. I jumped on the scales and weight 226. I am 5 11. I have tried this before and failed, I even started this thread before....so any on else out there jump in with advice or comments. Pretty much got shamed on a work out forum. I had an unhappy triad to right knee 5 years ago and torn rotator cuff left side 2 years ago, so swimming, running shoulder weight training left side are out. Anybody else want to join in too with pm, photos whatever. Thanks, Shell waster

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have had good luck in the past with lots of walking and intermittent fasting/low carb.

First, ween yourself off any and all carbs. No taters, rice ,corn, bread , pasta or soft drinks. No juices. Think meats and greens and water. Fat will satisfy much of your hunger. Once the carb cravings are gone, skip breakfast!!! Intermittent fasting will give your body a longer window to burn fat vs what lays in your tummy... Work to get down to a four hour window of eating per day, then try skipping days with nothing but water and black coffee.

Walk 3-6 miles per day and the fat should melt off of you!

3. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I lost 60lbs in about 18 months and my will power sucks. Went from 220 to 160 with no problem.

I downloaded the free version of My Fitness Pal app and ate lots of white meats, fish, veggies, and fruit. The app simply tracks what you eat and breaks down what’s in each food like sugar, potassium, iron, etc. You simply put in your current weight, target weight, and how much you’d like to lose each week. Then it gives you how many calories you can eat a
    day along with % of carb, fat, protein that a person should typically have. I had no idea how many calories I was eating until I tracked every bite.

I kept all the weight off for 3 yrs but over last year put #20 back on. A couple months ago I started using the app again and have lost 5 with 15 more to go. Trust me, if this works for me then it’ll work for just about anyone.

sdkidaho likes this.
  4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I also need to lose,walking is hard because of toe amputation last winter. I love desserts but really had to quit those. I will do more walking as foot heels.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I need to drop 20 lbs or so. It's not easy, especially witj bad knees. I used to run off any weight I needed to. Now it's all about diet and that's the tough part.

6. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I went from 250 to 217 in about 3.5 months on a low carb keto diet. Wife has lost about 25 pounds too. We're both still on the diet. Goal is 180, then I'm going back to the gym after a 15 year layoff. No carbohydrates. Vodka and diet tonic, Michelob Ultra or Miller Lite.

shell waster likes this.
  7. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Be totally selfish for 60 days. Eat what diet regime you choose without any regard for what others want. Do your cardio on your schedule without concerns for others. You stick to this plan and I guarantee you will lose the weight.
    If you are married or have a significant other, explain to them your plan and goals. Be sure to have a reward for them, after 60 days, for putting up with you during this time.

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Change your diet and eat nothing but clean foods. Sugar can be your mortal enemy. I use 2 teaspoons of sugar a day in my cup of coffee so I'm not saying to stop completely. You can consume small amounts of sugar and still lose weight. You can also switch to a natural plant based sweetener called Stevia if you need sweets in your diet. Stop drinking soda, even diet soda.

Eliminating carbs will help you lose weight quickly and works for a lot of people, but my experience has been that not eating carbs is a difficult way to live long term. Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, fish, baked or grilled white meat chicken and lean red meat (deer, elk, bison, antelope). Vegetables are your best healthy filler food. They're dense food and fill you up fast and have very few calories.

Your meat consumption should be about a 4 ounce serving. That's about the size of a deck of cards. Drink lots of water every day. Stay away from fruit drinks - eat the fruit instead. Learn to read labels. If a food has more sodium than it does calories, limit that food or just don't eat it. High amounts of sodium will spike your blood pressure and also make your body retain water and feel bloated. Lowering your sodium will help keep your heart healthy. Also, avoid foods with added sugars and don't eat fatty fried foods. Read the labels on everything you buy!

As mentioned above, track everything you eat with My Fitness Pal app. You can scan barcodes with the app on most everything you buy so you get the calorie counts and nutritional information. That makes it easy.

A meal plan of 1500 calories a day is enough to survive and your body will adjust to the lower caloric intake. Once you lose the weight you can increase your calorie count until you find that weight gain number and then back off.

The main thing you're going to have to do is create and maintain a calorie deficit. Walking a couple of miles a day is easy enough to do. You have to get up and move. Leading a sedentary lifestyle is going to make it difficult to lose weight.

I was essentially forced to clean up my eating habits due to health issues and I have lost 32 pounds since March 18. I'm almost to my weight goal and I am not starving myself by any means. I maintain a calorie intake between 1500 and 1700 per day. I also maintain a 200-500 calorie deficit per day. At first the weight was dropping quick. Now it's about a 1/2 pound a week. I eat good food and I feel good because of it.

There are plenty of healthy meals that you can prepare that are low sodium, low fat and low sugar. And they taste good. If you set your mind to it you'll be fine. Change your eating habits. Allow yourself a cheat day every now and then as a reward for losing the weight. Keep in mind that you gained the weight slowly over time so it's going to take time to lose that weight.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Good luck with your journey.

Squaller and sdkidaho like this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I went from 259 to 172 in about 2 years without working out or running. No exercise other than what my daily life gives me. I had to change the way I eat. I cut out about 1/2 of my calorie intake not eating much less just eating Low carbs and more meat and veggies. Breaded meat (meaning things like chicken nuggets and fish) and pastas are the enemy. After the first few months losing weight just became a way of life and when I reached my goal weight of 180 it was hard to stop losing. I got down to 172 which is way to thin for me and I had to force myself to eat more. It's not hard to do but it takes will power and changing how you eat.

marshmob likes this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I need to drop some weight myself. It's tough for me as I'm a meat & taters kinda guy, don't care for many veggies at all no matter how much I try. And I love my sweet tea--that's a tough one to drop!
    I also want to gain back a little muscle and strength too; started doing some pushups and such with my 8yr old just yesterday. Hopefully he'll help me stick with it!

marshmob likes this.