Question about Chevy 4X4 system

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Tuleman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I recently married a fine young widow, who has a 1984 half ton Chevy pickup her husband bought before he died. I have a question on the 4 wheel drive system in it:

In 4 Hi, is there a differential between the front and the rear axles? I.e. if one is slipping does the other still have power to it? Can I run in 4 Hi on-road?

I have no manual.....

2. baglimit

baglimit Senior Refuge Member

1984- read the driverside visor it will have 4x4 instructions.

3. c-hawk19

c-hawk19 Elite Refuge Member

More than likely that truck has a NP208 transfer case. Never run the truck on pavement in 4x4 unless its snowy/icy. Dry pavement creates a lot of heat in the hubs and diff. Also your truck more than likely has manual hubs which means they must be engaged to be in 4x4.

4. Tuleman

No instructions on drivers visor. :(

Truck had automatic locking front hubs standard, but I changed them to manual locking hubs two years ago (when the automatic hubs went bad).

I found the original Owner's Manual in my wife's "important papers"....she never throws anything away, fortunately....and it tells me how/when to operate the system, but not how the system works.

I still want to know if there is an open differential between front and rear axles in 4H. Doesn't seem to be, but I would like to know for sure.
    Thanks, guys.

5. MuddyWaterWarlock

MuddyWaterWarlock Refuge Member

Not sure what you are asking.

In 2 wheel, engine, through trans, transfer, out to rear axle only.
    4 high, engine, through trans, transfer, out to front and rear axles.
    4 low, engine, through trans, transfer, through planetary in transfer, out to front and reaf axles.

6. Tuleman

I know the front and rear axles are "locked" together in 4L. Are they also locked together in 4H?

7. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Yessir, via the transfer case. IF your hubs up front are engaged.

8. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Here is how it works, The transfer case can be working just fine, however the lockouts work and engage by vacuum and what usually happens is a vacuum hose gets ripped in half or burn't etc. So I would check for vacuum leaks and then the hubs will lock in. and your truck will run better and get better mileage too.

Also: No Rustang EVER beat my 69 427/435hp 4speed Corvette LOL!

9. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Haha, not doubting that... but how about a real shelby....not a shelby mustang?
    I love the dust that quote stirs up with you corvette guys!

10. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor Moderator

LOL! not even a real Shelby as my buddy has one. I sold my vette about 10 years ago, I bought it when I was 17 for 3500.00 and it needed paint. I got a lot more than that out of it when I was 30...lol! There was a reason that the speedo went to 200mph on it.

I only owned 1 Ford and that was my 34 5 window coupe all metal body with 48merc 59AB flathead in it punched out with big cam and tri-power. I loved that car, but again had near nothing invested in it and got a bunch of money out of it. I have owned two 50's camaro's with big block 4-speeds, 73 Nova SS, and that was before I was 20. My dad owned a service station and wrecker service so we used to come across a lot of good deals. I had the Nova and the Vette for the longest time. I sold the others to buy other cars. The last car I owned was a 70 Buick Stage1 with the 455 automatic and the engine was really hopped up and honestly is the only car that I have ever owned that would break loose the rear tires when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd...lol! it was torque monster. If you put an aluminum intake and headers on the 455 buick they are 85 lbs lighter than a SB chevy with more HP and twice the torque. THey are FUN! I like my fords to, but wheever I see that I always have to give the guy crap....lol! :tu;)