Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Question about Northwind socks.

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by mrdux, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

I'm in the process of converting my spread over to northwind type socks. I currently have about 20 dozen with heads and I'm having a terrible time transporting them to the field. I have tried several different types of hard boxes, decoy bags, etc and haven't been satisfied with the results. I should qualify this; I attach the heads so I don't have to put all these together in the field while trying to set up 1000 or more decoys. I realize this compounds the problem but don't see I have a choice. Does anyone here use a similar decoy and how do you transport them? I socks I use have the plastic supports inside the bags. Thanks.

2. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

Remove the plastic body insert. They take up to much space. You won't need them. If your using windsocks and you don't have wind your pretty much screwed. The inserts don't make the body look good enough anyway. Glue all of your heads on with hot glue. They stay on but if you break a stake you can still get it out of the head. I put all of mine in a 50 gallon rubbermade tub. Works real well. Or you can buy those plastic sleds made for ice fishing and stack them in those.

3. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

The windsock slings work pretty well for the oversized socks with heads on them.
    Kip

4. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

i would not use to many heads in the first place, they are a ****** anyways, i would only go 20 heads per 100 socks give or take 10

5. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

I hot glued the heads on this afternoon. Burned the crap out of a finger on the first decoy! HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!!!! I may ring my spread with the socks till I can faze out my 1000+rags. I'm going to try the large, hard plastic, stackable boxes till I can find something better. Thanks for the replies.

6. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I hope you only used a couple of drops since that is all they need. If you don't and when they break they are a bugger to get off and replace!

7. xtremefowler

xtremefowler Senior Refuge Member

You might want to check out the field shuttles made by gooseview industries for storing and transporting your decoys. I have 2 of them and in one I can fit 600 to 700 northwinds in one shuttle and I have close to 20 doz. heads in that one also. If you don't have heads and have your socks on steel stakes you should be able to fit 800 in one. I used to use the big plastic tubs but they took up way too much space.

8. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

I went bags instead of boxes. That way we can still backpack in if necessary. (Yes, Toye, we don't drive to EVERY set...)

Don't know if I'd dump all your rags for winds. (And that's coming from a guy who designs for Expedite...) They each have a different type of movement. I use the rags inside and the winds on the perimeter.

I glued on the wind heads with Goop and it's worked pretty well. Probably cheaper to use the mentioned hot glue.

I took about half the plastic spines out also for the reasons mentioned above.

9. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

I grab about 50 each and have the stakes together and I gorilla tape them together and thane to the field that's an easy way of doing it

10. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Wow, talk about old thread.