Question about predator huntin

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Ulti-Mag, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Ulti-Mag

Ulti-Mag Guest

To HunterNWyo or anyone else who predator hunts...I just ordered a Johnny Stewart electronic call and i was wondering how ya'll go about hunting predators. I have some friends that do it and they say its some real action packed huntin. And what caliber gun do ya'll use? Thanks for all of your input.

Ulti-Mag.

2. Colby

Colby Senior Refuge Member

Doggin for um is the only way to hunt!!!! and ya dont even need those pricey calls.

Colby

3. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

That's kind of a big topic to cover but I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction. I'm sure Canaduck and some of the others can add some things, too.

I'm not sure exactly what Colby means by doggin for um. Maybe running them with dogs... Or maybe he's referring to the technique of using a pet dog for bait. Yotes are very territorial and will come in to chase off a domestic dog on their territory. This can be kind of a risky technique, especially if you choke and can't hit the yote. Yotes kill a lot of farm dogs around here, usually getting the dog to fight one yote and having other yotes sneak in from behind.

As for calling coyotes, you wanna first of all know that there are yotes in the area, either from seeing them or from seeing lots of tracks so you don't waste your time where the coyotes aren't. Then you want to set up downwind of the direction you expect yotes to come from. Hide the electronic call a little ways out in front of you so that when the yotes are keying in on the call they aren't looking directly at you. You want to be set up with your gun so you have to move as little as possible and so your silhouette is broken up, but still giving yourself a good view.

What type of terrain are you planning on hunting in? I might be able to give you some clues on how to set up.

I usually set up to call in bowls and breaks with some brush for cover, along creeks or ditches, by small patches of timber, or right in the middle of the prairie. I've had some of my best luck calling when doing it right out in the open with just enough cover to semi-hide me while I lay down. I usually call from 15 to 30 minutes in a spot before moving to a new spot. If you haven't had a yote come in within a half hour you're probably not going to.

I shoot a 22-250 caliber with a heavy barrell, Harris bipod, and 6x-24x scope. It's heavy as hell but able to reach out and knock a yote down to around 600 yards if I can do my part right. For a few years I shot yotes with a 6mm. The guy I varmint hunt the most with shoots a 243, and does pretty good with it. A fast, flat-shooting rifle is best.

Predator hunting involves a lot of trial and error in setting up correctly for each situation. My best advice is just to get out and try it, and don't get frustrated. It's a learning process like anything else. If you've got friends who do it, try and tag along with them to see how things go.

Can you hunt at night with a spotlight where you live?

Anyway, hope that helps some.

4. Ulti-Mag

Ulti-Mag Guest

Thanks a lot for your input HunterNWyo. I'll probably be hunting open cut-land or big fields. I hear coyotes there everytime i go deer hunting. We can use a spotlight as long as its a 6 volt or less. I plan on shooting a .243 but most of by buddies shoot 12 guages with no. 2 buckshot. I plan on going this weekend, i'll let you know if i do any good.

Ulti-Mag

5. Canaduck

Canaduck Elite Refuge Member

If it's open fields you're definitely better off with the 243. If it's open and you can see the coyote a fair distance away, chances are he will see you by the time he gets close enough to shoot him with a shotgun.

Hunter gave you some great info. As for me, I have luck calling in areas only where I have specifically seen coyotes(usually while deer hunting) because it seems that coyotes cover a lot of ground so there seems to be tracks all over the place. Definitely look for sign and talk to people(ie. farmers) who would have an idea as to where to look. The biggest thing is put yourself in a position that you think no living creature could spot you in and then find some place better. Coyotes are amazing at picking up movement so hide yourself well(but you do still have to be able to see). And forget about calling if the wind ain't right unless you enjoy coyotes sitting and looking at you at about 400 yards. A lot of times when the coyotes aren't coming to my calls, I will just walk likely areas(that's how I took the coyote I shot a few days ago). It seems that when you call them in, they are extremely wary but when you stalk them they seem to be kind of stupid. Either way, good luck!

------------------
    Take'em!!!

Canaduck
    schweitz@sk.sympatico.ca

6. HunterNWyo

Everything Canaduck said was dead on (excuse the pun [​IMG] ).

If hunting open or semi-open country, go with the 243. Coyotes got eye's like a hawk.

I have shot yotes before with a shotgun, either when hunting really thick cover or in the timber, or where there's lots of houses around and it's unsafe with a rifle. I use either my 870, full-choked, or my marlin 55 bolt action 12 gauge. I shoot 3" lead 4 shot, and it will level a coyote out to around 60 yards. But you gotta be set up perfect to get a yote in that close in open terrain.

If you can hunt at night with a spotlight they tend to be less wary. It helps if the wind isn't blowing so you can listen for them coming in and then hit 'em with the light. Otherwise you gotta play the guessing game unless you can make 'em out by moon/starlight.

Heck Canaduck! If you've got yotes sittin' and lookin' at you at 400 yards they should be dead!!! bwahahahahaha [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck Ulti-Mag! Let us know how you do.

Hopefully I'll have some good news on my own yote hunting next Monday. I spent all last weekend shooting jackrabbits. A taxidermist is giving me $2 a piece for them, and last weekend I ended up getting 91 rabbits. Not a bad way to make a little extra gas money. [​IMG]

7. Canaduck

Canaduck Elite Refuge Member

C'mon now, be nice. True, at 400 yards a coyote SHOULD be dead but in Saskatchewan we usually have an 80mph wind, blinding snow and temperatures so cold that you can barely feel your finger let alone squeeze the trigger(ok, ok those are just the excuses that I use when I miss) [​IMG]!

Seriously, yeah you're right any coyote at 400 would be dead but I always seem to overestimate the distance and end up shooting over the coyotes.

------------------
    Take'em!!!

Canaduck
    schweitz@sk.sympatico.ca

8. HunterNWyo

Hey... Saskatchewan sounds a good deal like Wyoming. Those are the same excuses I use when I miss!!! [​IMG]

As for overestimating the distance to a yote and shooting over there backs, I do that quite a bit myself. But at least then when I miss a yote at 350 yards that I thought was at 500 yards I can ease the pain some by saying, "Yeah, I missed a big yote today, but he was 500 yards off so it was a pretty tough shot." [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, anytime I hit a yote much farther than 300 yards, with the wind blowin' and adrenaline flowin', luck is definitely on my side.

9. Colby

Colby Senior Refuge Member

A 300 Weatherby Mag and a laser range finder is the way I usually go, but I gotta shaved 243 that gets to come along sometimes too.

Wyo, The best way in the world to huny yote's is to take your neighbors dum *** Golden Retriever out and let him run his silly but off until one of the yote's finds him and chases him back to ya!!!!!

If'n I have to call them I sit as high as possible, draw them with a howler, tie a white hanky in the top of a sage brush so it blows in the wind, and dying Jackrabbit call um till he attacks it.

whatcha think.

Colby

P.S. the 300 gets um at 500+

10. HunterNWyo

Sounds like you know what's up, Colby. Is the 300 rough on the pelts? My 22-250 will get 'em out to 600 if I can judge the distance and the wind isn't blowing 50 mph out.