Question about the M&P AR15 Sport 5.56

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Trophyduck, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

NEw to this AR thing......but is this gun, AS IS, good for hunting? As I read about it I see people replacing the uppers and so on for hunting and keeping it "stock" for Self-defense, etc.....things like that.

If I get the 5.56 Sport model, can I just keep things as is and hunt effectively with it, and can I shoot "heavier" bullets with the twist rate?

Thanks

2. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

You can hunt with it as is, but......
    What's the twist rate?
    Not an AR guy but I'd look at a good after-market trigger for sure no matter what you use it for. The type of ammo you run through it determines the ideal twist. If you hunt coyotes with it, you'll probably want a 20" or longer match grade barrel and a decent scope. I like the idea of a stock upper for two-legged pests and a second one for hunting.

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I am fairly new to AR hunting as well, only my 2nd full season using one for coyotes, so my experience/advise is very limited. There is way too much info online about bullets/barrels, etc... to try to understand right away, but my short answer to your question is yes, it will hunt. I have a Windham Weaponry "stock" 16" barrel with 1 in 9 twist (I believe the MP is the same) and have no problems killing coyotes at 250 yds with 55 grain bullets and/or 62 grn which requires almost no adjustment on target. I have not tried any heavier bullets, but from what I've read, once you get up in 75+ weights, then yes you would probably want a faster twist. 250 yards is "close" for distant shooters, so I don't know what type distances you will experience, and/or what you are actually hunting. I'm in IL so 700 yd shots are not a thought. I don't have a problem with the stock trigger since that's what I started with and what I'm now used to. You may want to add to or build on your rifle in the future, but the first thing I would consider is good optics. It does make a huge difference especially in low light situations.

4. Dogface

Dogface Senior Refuge Member

I have an M&P 15. You can hunt with it out of the box. BTW I think it is the best value in an AR out there.

I also have an M&P 15-22. Another great rifle.