Question about volume on RM Pothole

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by digi, Oct 26, 2017.

1. digi

digi Senior Refuge Member

I have a RM CWF and love it, probably my favorite call. I'm not a good caller by any means but my question is how much quieter is the RM Pothole? I was thinking about picking one up for switching between them from when the birds are close vs far out..

2. okieboy

okieboy Refuge Member

Just learn to control your air to lower the volume.

3. digi

Yeah I need to work on that...my problem is that I can make it sound ok when I'm pushing a good amount of air through it but I sound bad when I put less air into it.

4. okieboy

okieboy Refuge Member

Yes sir. It is more difficult to control the low stuff on a call with a more open bore with less back pressure. A Pothole would be easier to control.

5. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just practice soft quacks until you get it

Stump

cupnglide and DrakeStar like this.
  6. digi

Thanks for the tip

7. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

And as far as soft quacks go, stringing quacks to finish birds is really actually a great way to do it, it can also really allow you to focus the birds and get them to finish exactly where you want to provide the best shot.

I however, still wouldn't mind hearing about the potholes volume, if anyone that has owned one has ever felt like they didn't have enough volume to reach birds, if anyone feels like its operation lacks if trying to get louder, etc...

And, having another complementary call isn't necessarily a bad thing, so if it's something you want, keep requesting the info you want from these guys. Sometimes those little calls designed for close range also make all that close range calling that much easier (you'd think this would be a given), which can bring more enjoyment to you, but yes, controlling your presentation of air on louder calls can sure get you what you need to finish birds.

8. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

One of the things I love most about my CWF is its ability to hold tone (good tone) at low air/volume presentation. Almost to the point of it being one of the "quietest" calls I own when blown that way. It's ability to hammer on top just makes it that much more versatile.
    As for the OP, the pothole I owned had a similar tone to the CWF but with lower overall volume. Couldn't push it as hard, and for me at least, wouldn't go as low and hold the tone I was after. I sold it a few weeks after I got it. Not a bad call by any means, just wasn't a CWF.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. digi

Good information here. I think I need to work on more diaphragm air or something. Controlling it is the hard part at a lower volume, especially in hunting conditions.

Could be part of the reason why I like the CWF so much.. because for me to get a good cadence and sound "ducky" it can take the high volume of air I put into the call.

I've gotten into a habit of putting so much air into the call over the last year or so, I need to unlearn that habit and practice more on diaphragm air at low volumes (I think).

I guess the easier way out of this would for me to just get a softer call....maybe it's just an excuse for me to buy another RM call too.. :)

10. digi

Reporting back. After going through a few reeds, I finally tuned it right where I want it. I can blow much softer into the call now, made slightly larger dogears on it and it's super raspy and I can put less air into my CWF. What a great call Stump.