Question about volume on RM Pothole

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by digi, Oct 26, 2017.

1. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Everyone has different lung capacity, mouth and throat shape boss. Learning to tune a call for you volume of air is one of the most important things to learn. Lord knows that when I first started blowing a duck call...i would think a call was simply bad. Then down the road I learned to cut my own reads and figured out that some of the calls I had were pretty dang good.

I need to get time to take pictures and post how to micro tune a call to dial it in to where one is happy

Stump

callinfowl and digi like this.
  2. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

THIS! I picked up a Pothole during my deployment along with literally all others I wanted except a Jade Alpha. Apart from the Jade, I at least have a model made in each line within the last 2 years. My favorite is absolutely my black CNC CWF that became my primary next to a Lares Hybrid. Out of the box, it ran like a dream and as previously stated, it can whisper and scream. The Pothole i acquired might still need some tweaks on the reed, but the volume is fairly comparable to a CWF. I think my CWF has more rattle, volume and runs a lot looser. I'm not a comp caller or anything like it, but my CWF "feels" better while i run it and i can do more with it. Compared to the new steel shot Alpha and the Cranberry Alpha, which are still fun to run, i prefer the CWF over all of the other models, but that doesnt mean none of the others wont see any game time when we open in KS.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Out of the 46 yrs that I've been hunting ducks and or watching ducks in the wild and in parks. I have never, not once seen/heard a duck get quieter when other ducks were either swimming in or flying in, quite the opposite in fact . Why anyone would want a quiet duck call makes absolutely zero sense to me. Blow the call loud and proud all the way to the shot. If birds start bouncing off the call, try a loud heavy single cut feed calling or well spaced single quacks, or fast clucks or quacks much like the alarm quacks you hear when you jump hen mallards.

cupnglide likes this.
  4. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

Callinfowl while you are probably right and I sure don't have the experience or time invested you have, on multiple occasions I have been able to talk birds into the gun while calling "quiet." It's the main reason I stick with my CWF and Hybrid. I figure if it worked more than once over a few seasons, then it might not be a complete coincidence. I have little to choose from in super quality locations and usually time my leave for hunting/weather/migrating mallards all wrong. I'll take what I can get if aggressive and loud isn't working, though I much prefer it.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I'm no pro by any means a far, far stretch really, so keep doing what works for you but don't be afraid to try power calling when birds are in close. Especially if there are other callers in the area that you have to compete with to get the birds in.
    The birds we shot last week would fall off line and bug out if you let up on the calling. So instead of 3 to 5 noters, we found that single quacks all the way to the shot at an alarm call cadence worked to keep them from tailing off or falling offline.
    Try it some time and see if it helps you bag a few more.:tu
    I like a call that can pretty much do it all, just in case one thing isn't working you have the ability to try other things. Which is why I have a CWF on my lanyard again this year and an Alpha has found it's way on the strings this year as well. My old Hedge Dasiy Cutter hasn't left it's spot on my call shelf since I put the new CWF and the Alpha on my lanyard. I always have a Lares ready to go, and some days one of the three calls just seems to turn more birds than the others for some reason, I like to keep my options open. :l:tu:tu:tu

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017