question for a rice farmer

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by possumfoot, Jun 22, 2016.

1. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

looking for the shortest season rice i can find for next year. want something that i can have mature (not dried) by sept 1. any suggestions. also, have been told that atrazine will knock rice out, but have read that rice naturally has an atrazine resistant gene. only about a 1/2 acre plot on the bottom end of a flood irrigated corn field.

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I am not a famer, but Well's, and Bengia are the most popular varieties. You are way late, though. I'm not sure if there is a "duck corn"equivalent for rice…... Might wanna call your local Co op, DU biologist,………... or MS state university. you'll probably get way better info there than off of this site. Nobody come around here anymore anyway.

3. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

ment to plant next spring. for 2017-18 season. way i look at it, last season is over and this season has not started yet. but i may give MS state a call. or e-mail.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Since you are already planting corn, You might consider planting "Grassy Corn" / dirty corn"….Basically strips of corn with millet & weeds in between. we've been planting like this in MO for years with good results.

[​IMG]

MS. state helped us with the details.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Not a rice farmer either, but you're gonna be hard pressed to find many very early, less than 105 day maturity, varieties. Most varieties are 115-120 day maturity. Go to MSUcares and check out a few of their variety trials. I'd recommend a conventional variety like Rex or Lakast. Both averaged in the 230-250 bu/ac range. They released another variety last year, or maybe supposed to get released this year called Thad. Supposedly getting really good results. If you can get any of these varieties in the ground before April 15, you should be golden by the 1st of September.

6. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

I know two or three .. rice farmers......they hunt the timber with me ! :l:l.....dam a rice field ....

mmayes likes this.
  7. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Damn right! YUCK..