Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Question for Beavertail flip top owners

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Scaupstopper, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Do you have any issues with the blind being too tall due to the higher gunnels on the Alaskan? From the pictures I have seen the blind works well on jon-style boats with low gunnels. It seems like the tall gunnels would make the blind too tall for a standard boat seat.

2. Dbishop311

Dbishop311 Senior Refuge Member

It is a tad high but it keeps people from sticking their heads up. The front is just right height wise. Heres a few pictures of when I first got it on the boat. Ive added a bunch of killer weed since and added the dog door. The front and rear cross member is at the very front and rear of the boat so you dont have to step over or under it. I did a lot of researching before I purchased a blind for this boat. Being a v bottom with wide gunnels its hard finding a blind that will fit without doing some modifying. I guess thats with any boat though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front of the boat. Re did the bend so it wasnt sticking outside of the boat.
    [​IMG]

3. merganser bill

merganser bill Elite Refuge Member

I have a beavertail blind on my 20 foot Lund Alaskan easy lift up to get out only real problem had is the top bar bending if you have grass on it in heavy winds have to brace it.I usually only use it for divers on big water.

4. Walleyehawger

Walleyehawger New Member

Do you have any pics of the blind set up on the Lund? I have a Polar Kraft Outlander 186T and was led to believe that the beavertail wouldn't fit it very well.

5. dogditcher

dogditcher Senior Refuge Member

I have the Beavertail on a 16' Lund SSV
    I had issues with the blind sitting up on the higher gunnels and
    would be in the way for my tiller -I moved blind many times
    trying to figure the best way for it to work on my boat.
    The solution for me was to shorten the blind length and
    set it down on cross benches-Had a canvas guy sew new location
    of bottom sleeves for frame rails-Only used it 1 season so far
    and seemed to work well-I did add grass to blind and it does
    roll up into cover for transport .
    To answer your question-all you do is just lift rail on
    either gunnel and slide in and out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dbishop311

I have a 1600 Lund alaskan. The 1600 series blind wouldnt have worked. I took the chance after researching and taking measurements and went with the 1800 series. Mounted great and the cross members were out of the way.

Heres the blind up. Since this picture I added more grass and a few more grassing straps on the top to cover the holes a bit better. Also made some Ghillie blankets to throw over the holes.
    [​IMG]

7. Mr.Spooky

Mr.Spooky Refuge Member

I like something a little more solid. Sometimes you gotta move quick on a river setting. I don't think Id feel comfortable running my boat (with that style blind) under any trees or natural cover. Seems like it would get bent all to hell and a PITA to set up after that.
    If your in a lake or a puddle where you have the time to break it all down, do what you got to do and get back in position, set it back up easy as pie,,, it would be OK... in a pinch,,,,, not bullet proof

8. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Great pictures guys! Thanks for posting them.

I really like the mods you have done to get the blinds to work on a deep-v style hull.

9. Dbishop311

You dont run the boat with the blind up? It takes 3 seconds to fold it over. There is no "breaking down". And I am by no means affiliated with Beavertail, its just an great blind. Trying to help people out because I was looking for the same answers when I was shopping around.

10. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

What holds the supports in place when the blind is up?