Question for the No bake the cake crowd, is this okay?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Dec 31, 2017.

1. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

2. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

3. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

First Amendment to the United States Constitution

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Can you imagine the uproar if we told the press who they had to serve and what they had to say?

Anywho - seems pretty clear to me that Colorado has overstepped their boundaries. The only way to peel back such government over-reach is to allow for personal liability on the part of the government officials who have overstepped said boundaries.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I haven't really considered this before but it seems to me that if the taxi drivers are independent business people they should be able to refuse to take anyone for any reason. However, since they are picking up passengers at the airport facility, the airport commission also ought to be able to require that they accept dogs and booze as well. The difference being that they have the option of picking up fares elsewhere that honor their religious beliefs, and it is only at the airport (public facility) that they must accept those fares. They have the option to not do business there. If the city or state said they must accept passengers with booze or dogs everywhere they ought to have grounds for a 1st amendment claim. The cake bakers on the other hand are being required to conduct business they disagree with at their own private place of business. I believe this violates their 1st amendment rights. I'm sure others will disagree.

Michael, Squaller and 3inch3's like this.
  6. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

ding, ding, ding...... we have a winner.......

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yes... That choice would like bite most business owners in the azz in the free market...

With cab companies facing the competition of such as Uber, I would think they would not want to turn down business...

And while I think that the business has the right to make such choices, I also believe they have the right to hire people capable of doing the job being required (such as a waitress serving a ham sandwich, or a cab driver transporting someone with a bottle of wine). If the employee does not want to serve particular patron, due to the employee's beliefs (and not the business's) I believe that that business should be able to fire said employee.

I think it absurd that someone should be forced to be allowed work for someone, when they cannot do the work due to religious reasons.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  8. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Maybe as a cultural value thing because it seems a stretch to view employment as a Constitutional right.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’d say the cab union would fight tooth and nail in favor of the cabbies over Uber, for any reason. IMO, moot point. Aren’t cabs still heavily entrenched in airports? I could be behind the times.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Not that entrenched:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-cant-take-an-uber-home-from-these-airports-1467829592

My last business trip was to Las Vegas, and we used Lyft... Some deal through the convention we went to, and vastly cheaper than a taxi.

Maybe regulation will be imposed on these ride-sharing companies (such as Uber and Lyft) which makes taxi companies more competitive, but if not, I would guess the market will greatly diminish the need for taxi companies.