Question for the No bake the cake crowd, is this okay?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Dec 31, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

And what does Uber say about employees refusing rides? I.E, if I’m a Somali driver for Uber, can I also refuse, or will Uber drop me? I guess I could find another Uber driver, but I wouldn’t. I’d use a different company. Capitalism and all... Other options and all.

Squaller likes this.
  2. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

My wife uses Uber a lot out of airports. I don't know she has ever been questioned as to what she is transporting. Free market would have put those cabbies out of business eventually if left alone.
    Using Uber has given her the experience of a car service at a price less than taking a shuttle in most cases.... no brainer most of the time.

3. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

So many factors here, that are getting confused. First is the right of an individual as a business owner to make the call regarding religion, but it is not an extended right to an employee to do so without the permission of the employer. Where it gets tricky is if local regulations require a business license to operate and what comes with that license. Some places don't require a business license simply a tax ID. Business may have zoning and other restrictions etc...

I look back at Walmart locally where some of the checkers refuse to touch any package that is a pork product. Walmart allows this to occur. Many simply take business else where because of it. Others simply deal with it.

I know that we had to accommodate religious beliefs as an employer in WI, so if a Jehovah Witness or Seventh Day Adventist applied for a job I could not exclude them from being hired simply because they could not work past sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday.

However if i ran a meat packing plant that strictly processed hogs and they applied for a deboning position I would not have to hire them and make special accommodations for it.

I think a view of allowing the market to dictate is proper to a point but it is a very fine line to make sure that intentional discrimination not grounded in religious belief is not protected. What is to stop me from forming a church not connected to a major religion and refuse to serve people of color in my diner or hardware store? What if that business thrives because of said act??

Am I allowed because of my religion not to hire a black or Hispanic or someone wearing a burka??? So can I be forced to hire them but refuse to serve the people like them>>>

4. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Agreed.

And I think it is equally absurd that a religious organization be required to provide benefits to their employees that conflict with the employer's religious beliefs. Don't like the limitations? Don't work for that employer. Don't like that religions beliefs? Tough petunias.

@Ron Gilmore You sound like a nanny state progressive. The more we try to undo this "injustice" and protect that "offense" in the interest of legislating simple human decency, the more things just get jumbled into a massive ball of doublespeak. A private business should have full liberty to do whatever they want and serve whomever they want. If they succeed in spite of that, as long as they are not using force or threaten harm, it is a price we should be willing to accept in order to promote liberty. Don't conflate our current jumble of rules and requirements with the way the constitution was intended to operate. The constitution wasn't meant to protect us from private dbags, rather it was supposed to protect us from the government ones. As it stands it seems to be quite often doing the opposite.

Squaller likes this.
  5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

So, I have not used these companies (except in my limited travels)... But, when I have, there is a rating system (1-5 stars) that the user can rate the driver.

Now many of the drivers were motivated for us to give them good ratings, so I asked (a particularly talkative driver) why? He said, that with more good ratings, he will be a preferred driver (i.e. given more driving jobs as a preference), and if you get too many bad ratings, you will get dropped (by the contract they signed from my understanding).

Now, I have not looked into this in detail, but I have no reason to doubt this...

But, if a driver continuously refuses to give passengers a ride due to religious reasons, I would assume they would soon accumulate poor ratings, and legitimately be let go for these (viable) reasons.

6. stevena198301

So you're saying the gheys shoulda just left a bad review and went to another cake shop? HOW DARE YOU!!!! :dv

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  7. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Worked for me finding a new minister......just sayin':dv:dv

8. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I see little reason to use a taxi ever again. If Lyft or Uber operates in an area, use it. If you get bad service put it in the feedback form you will receive after your trip. They won't be driving long if they suck at it. They can't get fares if the company shuts them out of the app. It is an extremely useful application of modern mobile technology.

stump, stevena198301 and 3inch3's like this.
  9. stevena198301

I always thought the "angry cabbie" was a bit cliche/stereotypical, until I witnessed it. I do agree that Uber and Lyft should help eliminate that, since it has a review and rating system. For the most part though, I've had nice (and dedicated) cabbies. When I was in AIT, we had one run every red-light on Fort Bliss, getting us back late from an all-nighter off post. We made it to formation just as the DS was calling everyone to attention, reeking of alcohol. Dedicated... :dv He got a really good tip that day.

10. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Duck you miss the point completely. I am simply putting out perspective. The issue is not black or white. I think a business that fimds something repulsive should be allowed to decline doing the work.

Contractor hired to do remodeling onlybto be told later it is a BDSM room. Company does injection moulding, all of a sudden is tasked to make sex toys. Which didn't appear as a product they agreed to.

However would making a scarf that is later used as a burka be able to to object?