Question for those who were able to shoot lead...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

It all depends on how it is used. Typcially, it is used at very long ranges. Otherwise, smaller shot makes more sense. At the longer ranges, that pattern is pretty wide.
    I grew up with it. WE never used it, but others did. We would see other birds stagger, not the targeted birds. Pretty much always the case with very large shot.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I saw a lot of guys try and use 4 Buck for geese back in the day, to me it just never seemed as effective as lead BB's and usually the ranges these guys were trying to shoot at were a bit on the ridiculous side to start with. The way we figured it if you couldn't kill them with lead BB's you didn't need to be shooting at them in the first place.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

In Southern Il. back in those days, the waxed load was often used. Referred to as "blue streakers". They work in steel shot as well, but not AS good. They'll make a helluva hole in a 55 gallon drum at 60' if using an skeet or cylinder choke.

4. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Back in the day they used small bomb weights and piano wire. What ever it hit it cut clean through

Mayes

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Also , back in those days we tried "ringing" paper shells which would cut a hole big enough to put your fist in , at 75 yards !

6. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

First couple of years with steel was a nightmare, bloopers, stuck wads in barrels. Cripples and more cripples. My dog hated me and steel. Went to the larger shot size and it got better,
    remember all we shot in the marsh over decoys was black 2 3/4 inch number 6 duck and pheasant loads by Remington bought them by the truckload and they were death on ducks over the decoys. Good old lead that deformed when it hit and made knife edges and all that stuff and it worked. Went up to Saskatchewan Canada in the very early 90s first time and oh lordy we bought shells up there and went ape. They still shot lead!! We had a ball remembering the good old days of lead.