Question for those who were able to shoot lead...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It never was that I know of.

I've seen skybusters shooting 00 buck and still see it in some places. 9-15 pellets in the load. Ethics nor laws matter to a skybuster.

2. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

I used to hunt a reservoir in Southern Colorado with high cliffs all around the upper end of the lake. The geese would take off the lake, circle a few times to get altitude and go out to feed and there were always a few guys up on the cliffs pass shooting.

I got sprayed with spent shot every once in a while when I hunted down on the flats, and #2 or BB shot stung but I sort of just shrugged it off.

Then one day, someone shooting O or OO buck started blasting away, and I found out that that stuff came down just about as fast as it went up. I was hiding in a blind made out of driftwood and pellets were coming down all around me. When I saw one bury itself an inch into a downed tree limb, I pulled up my decoys and never hunted those flats again. I'm just very glad that the 3.5 inch 12 gauge didn't exist at that time, and that there were a limited number of those pellets in each load.

Buckshot was legal for geese in Colorado, but it wasn't legal in many states, at least not in some of the other states in which I hunted.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

#4 buck was a popular shot around here back in the lead days. Of course we also got some migrating Canadas back then. Seems like it worked out to a little over 20 pellets per ounce. The real skybusters weren't content though with buck. Wired shot and waxed shot was common with those folks. Crazy to see from a distance when wired shot hit a goose and he became two pieces. You could also often hear them flying through the air. I think some folks up north used to call them "whistlers."

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I 'think' #4 buck was ok. OO Buck was not, and that was what was most available (self defense round)
    Both are cripplers anyway.

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

The largest shot, in lead, I've used was BB. We hunted SK the last year lead was legal there and I bought a box to take along. That stuff was amazing. I would start shooting when everyone else had stopped. The longest goose I shot was just over 100 steps. Taking into consideration the angle of the bird after I shot it and maybe my stride was less that 36", I would surmise that I killed that particular bird at 75 yards. I left what was left of the box, maybe 18 rounds, with a local cause they would be useless here. Most of the geese died with #4 lead that trip.

6. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

Before I started reloading and our choice of ammo improved I would use 1 3/8oz 4's. But it was an inefficient load.. lots of strays. It kinda worked, but had its limitations. I tried 6's for a bit, but hated having to scramble for different shells anytime you got a swimmer.

When I started loading one of my first objectives was to get a good main round that could double as a swatter on smaller birds if called upon. I tried a couple different things and settled on a 1 1/8oz load of 3's, but subbed the bottom 30% of the shot charge for 5's. It kicks @$$.

7. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

You talking about the old Zingers with the wired shot? When you shot them they made a ZZZZZZINNNNGGGGG sound

Mayes

bill cooksey likes this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

We tried making our own with Piano wire and split-shot , never worked very good but I took a Mallards head off once , using one !

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I honestly don't recall ever seeing a cripple from #4 buck. I'm sure it happened, but what I saw was pretty much either a falling bird or they appeared as if they weren't hit at all.

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

A lot of the old timers, and quite a few of the young guys in the next valley over from me still shoot lead. Every ranch has a goose blind or a duck pond (or both), and they can see a warden coming from 10 miles. I've seen what those big heavy loads of 4s and 6s can do, also have seen lead 2s and BB kill geese at ridiculous ranges too. If it weren't for my strong desire to work for a fish and game agency, I'd be pretty tempted to shoot lead myself. I have probably 50 pounds of lead 2 shot, can't do a thing with it...