Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Question for you Alabama guys: hunting the deer rut in south Alabama

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Vahunter, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Our rut is basically November and the season goes out the first Saturday in January
    Not this year but soon, I want to take advantage of the late rut. What's the best way? I see some lodges advertised but they are really pricey. Is it possible to freelance? Does it make sense to join a local hunt club and self-guide?
    Looks like you are growing some nice deer.
    Thanks in advance.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

What part of south Alabama specifically? In my area the peak rut is usually around late Jan early Feb. Definately recommend joining a club versus public land.

3. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

It looks like part of south east Ala has the rut in late January - Eufala, I guess. I REALLY like the notion of being able to hunt rutting deer that late. Would a hunt club take an out of stater who could probably not do any work days? What would deer club dues be in that area?

4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Well I hunt a lot of public land and have good success doing it better bring your bow unless they are having a gun hunt depending on what part of the state is when they start coming in to rut north Alabama we don’t have just a full blown one like up north but they will chase and give you opportunity’s go to outdoor Alabama and you can check out when there will be gun hunts on management areas go early for sure also will need a map of the area which is your permission slip on top of liscense

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Lots of public land options for deer. Bring your deer sled/cart. If you shoot one on public, you may be in for a long drag. Also, craigslist has ads a lot for day hunts, etc. Usually they are in the sporting section.

If you have a small boat (I guess a bigger boat would work, but you're gonna have to shore up and it's just easier with a small craft), look into TVA lands as well. Lots of public land that is only accessible by boat, with some decent (good for this area) bucks. If you can do the boat option, I can show you some places where some good sized deer hang out. You will have your work cut out if you shoot one, but they are there. I saw one of them a few weekends ago.

You can hunt a large portion of AL for deer until the 10th of Feb, not just south AL. I think Talladega Nat'l Forest is included in that, and it's a large public area. Bankhead is another large tract of public. Expect bigger bucks, as these were interbred with northern deer years ago. Still not like the monsters in the midwest though.

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Some would I imagine. Depends on the club and their rules.

Depends on acreage, quality of land, lodging, and # of members. 2-3k a year is probably average. Anything less than 2k and you start getting into clubs with marginal land and too many members.

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

All of the land around my property is held in deer leases that essentially are passed down to family members when the old man dies. Only way new members get admitted is if a member dies and has no kids. :l

@Vahunter; you'll be better off looking for clubs that offer "day hunts" if going the pay route. FWIW, the rut is on right now, according to my buddies that deer hunt, and it should be good through the end of Jan.