Question on avian x full body mallards

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by SPRIGS, Jan 30, 2018.

1. SPRIGS

SPRIGS Elite Refuge Member

Really like the looks of the Avian x full body mallards but I hate field stakes. Has anyone had any luck with using field stands with these decoys like the Avery field stands?

Not sure why they decided to just go the stake route.

Thanks for any input.

2. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

Ya, not sure why they would make a great looking decoy like that and not make a round base for them? Can't use them on the ice unless you buy the "X" rig deal for them, "at an additional charge" of course...

3. SPRIGS

And I don’t like their multiple stake rig- I don’t want all of my mallards evenly spaced.

The round bases are just so much more versatile. Setting up on ice, frozen ground isn’t a problem. A stand like they have on their full body geese would be ideal as I really like that design.

4. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

I agree. Apparently Fred doesn't realize the struggle of the Nebraska waterfowler...:l

5. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Send those stakes all to me.I love them,not much frozen ground here,sometimes ice but can still push the stake in.I grab 2 bags of 6 and set them up in 2 minutes.Bases are heavy and bulky.Same thing with the Avianx leaders Run and Gun stakes my buddy calls them. Also a lot of our fields sent that level so bases are a pain.JMHO.

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Lessers,not leaders.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

IMO they made the right choice going with stakes. I find ring bases nearly useless on uneven ground, in wind decoys blow over and the ring bases are much heavier.

8. full choke

full choke Senior Refuge Member

Why not include both ring bases and stakes? Tanglefree does (or did when I bought some fb pintails). At the cost of the avian x fullbodies- I am sure including stakes along with regular bases is entirely doable.

9. SPRIGS

10. NealinMO

NealinMO Senior Refuge Member

You can take avery bases and cut the peg off and they'll work on avian x fb's