Question on RNT MVP-is this jigged?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by bp97211, May 9, 2018.

1. bp97211

bp97211 Senior Refuge Member

I see what I think are the horizontal bandsaw marks on the tone board. Bought this around 2005, so timeframe is about right. Welcome thoughts from those with knowledge on RNT calls of that era. Thanks-BP

Attached Files:

2. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

No jig mark , cnc cut toneboard

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

For your future reference, a "jig mark" is the circle cut in the insert by the end of a jig's set screw when the insert is clamped into it. Here's one on a MVP:

jig mark 005.JPG

California Flyway likes this.
  4. bp97211

bp97211 Senior Refuge Member

Thank you both!

5. Wade C

Wade C Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Also, depends on the fixture used on the mill, there could still be the same set screw mark. I remember years ago seeing the mill on RNT-V I think it was, and they had their fixtures on a 4th axis, that looked like jigs, with the set screw and all.

So I dont believe the screw mark is a positive identification of a "jigged" call. But Im also not an RNT authority by any stretch of the imagination.

Wade

stumpjumper0531 likes this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

All I can claim to know with any certainty at all is that the MVP insert pictured above was said to have been altered by Butch to make it an extra loud hunting call. I've never been to the shop, let alone watched him do the work. But I do know that it is the loudest of my three MVPs (one of my half-scroll DC's vintage, that one from around the same time and the last just a couple years old), and more to the current point, it is the only one of the dozen or so RNTs of varied models I've owned showing a set screw mark.

That doesn't mean it was really Butch and not some guy coming in off the street to mark inserts, but it seems unlikely to me that their standard practices produce them.

7. Wade C

Wade C Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I certainly dont doubt you or what you said about that call at all... I was just mentioning it as a possibility when it comes to set screw marks. But for all I know, the set screws in what I saw on the RNT-V mill fixture and on the real jigs is different and that would be identifiable. Like I said, Im no RNT expert, never even owned one, and maybe have operated one in my life when I was 12-13?

I just went to try and find the episode to watch it again - and either I was remembering completely wrong, or the little bit that I saw and remembered, was from a different show/episode. Im almost wondering if it wasnt that episode and was something previous? As I specifically remember them being orientated a different direction - and the bit about it was a super short excerpt, and at the end of the show rather than multiple shots with it and JS in front of it narrating. The fixture in the Rotary table episode does not use set screws - it uses a clamp type setup that shouldnt mark the keg at all.

I really dont think Im crazy, but I guess now I have my concerns.... If I find what Im thinking of, Ill link to it.

Wade