Question on SE NM

Discussion in 'New Mexico Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I know this forum is dead but I'm guessing it still gets some traffic. I am thinking about going with some buddies on a quail hunt the week of February 11th to SE NM around the Tatum area. Not sure where we are hunting but my buddy said we are probably going to camp around Tatum I guess. My question is are there any snow goose opportunities in that neck of the woods that time of year? I see there are quite a few playas but not a ton of ag. Just wondering if I should throw some steel shot in or not. Feel free to PM me also if you'd like. Thanks!

2. GeorgiaDawg

GeorgiaDawg New Member

No. Almost no snow geese get out of site of bitter lakes nwr. I just moved from Carlsbad and hunted 4 seasons in SE New Mexico and I doubt if there are 10 snows a year killed in the eastern half of the state. There are some birds in Roswell and Clovis / Portales but there is a very limited number and access to hunt is very difficult......not that land owners say no.....finding them in a timely manner, when birds are around, is nearly impossible.

I’ve been told there was some snow geese to be hunted in Tucumcari and in Clayton but I’ve not seen it personally. There is some spring snow hunting in Lubbock for certain......I was fortunate enough to have access to some of it.

Seriously though, as thick as the quail are this year......shooting snows would be a letdown. I moved the week before the season started but the desert was LOUSY with quail....there has been a bumper crop of birds for 4 years straight and this year seemed better than any.......you can’t drive 1/4 mile without a big covey crossing the road. Tatum gets way less focus than Hobbs and Carlsbad......Carlsbad is the world epicenter of cotton top shooting. I would bet there are at least 2 film crews in town shooting footage of quail hunts.....and probably 15 guides out with clients within 50 miles of Carlsbad right now. People are flocking to Carlsbad to hunt scalies.....and the birds are there and it’s almost all public land....you’ll have a blast.

3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I appreciate the response, I truly do, but this was from last year. I guess I was right when I said this forum was dead if this thread was still near the top haha. I ended up not going but my buddy and his girlfriend got into them pretty good. Sounded like I missed out on a good time.

4. GeorgiaDawg

GeorgiaDawg New Member

Yeah I didn't realize it was a year old until I hit submit LOL.. If you ever do get a chance to go to SE New Mexico the dove and quail hunting is as good as it can be anywhere. The only thing keeping the dove shooting from being argentina good is the limit!

nebgoosehunter likes this.