question on silos and shells

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by hunt geese, Jul 18, 2004.

1. hunt geese

hunt geese Senior Refuge Member

i was wondering if it was your choice, would you buy 2 doz silos or a doz silos and a doz ghg shells.these will be land decoys by the water.

2. Goldy

Goldy Elite Refuge Member

I like full bodies, but given those two choices, I'd go with 1 dozen shells and 1 dozen silos.

3. BIG BANG

BIG BANG Elite Refuge Member

I am not a silo guy , but some guys love them, I have some GHG shells and I have the motion stakes for them and I like the waty they move around. They are a little heavy tho so if you have to carry them far you might want to go with silos!JMO!

4. RUSSELL HALLOCK

RUSSELL HALLOCK Elite Refuge Member

Go with the O.S. GHG shells and add some sleeper heads. That will give your rig the relaxed look. This is especially effective next to water on sand/mud flats or ice edges. The only way I would use silo.'s is if you have to pack the decoys to your spot.

5. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

I love silo's all to death, but I do not like them near water.....I would go with either 2 dozen shells, or for the same price one dozen fullbodies.

6. evileye

evileye Senior Refuge Member

Silos work awesome! I have Real geese but have hunted over Outlaws many times. They both work real well. Some of the best guides in the business hunt over a spread of silos only on many days.

7. tyrone

tyrone Senior Refuge Member

I would go with a dozen each...

8. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

Indeed they do, but for some reason over water geese are skidish over them.....we ran spreads of 50-100 dozen outlaws only all year and killed thousands of geese over them, but once we set them on a water hole the gig was over. I think it is the glare on the water or something. I would go with full bodies with a water situation.

9. Mark Moreland

Mark Moreland Elite Refuge Member

Have to agree with goose-caller on this one mostly.I have had some good shoots around water with silo sets,but many times the birds wanted nothing to do with silo-water sets.When I pulled them,it was game on.This happened on more than several hunts to me before I figured it out that it was the silos causing the problem. Not saying that they don't work around water,I just personally do not like to use them for that set up if at all possible.I would go with the full bodies if transportation of your decoys is not a problem,and if it is go with the shells as they look very good also.

10. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

If you really want the silos, mix em and get a dozen of silos and a dozen of the GHG shells. You may want to get some Avery motion stakes for the shells also. Like Russell said, with some of the shells on the ground as well as a few sleeper heads, will surely give the spread a relaxed /resting look.