Question?

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by SS Freak, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SS Freak

SS Freak Senior Refuge Member

I was talking to a friend about this question and wanted to get your opinions.

Is babtism necessary to obtain salvation?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

No, it is not.

Baptism should follow salvation as a testimony to those witnessing the baptism of your salvation.

This does not mean one should avoid getting baptized, it simply means you get saved, then baptized.

This follows the examples given in scripture throughout the book of Acts.

Jesus was baptized simply as an example to all of us.

3. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Absolutely. You must be fully immersed according to Acts 2:38 in the name of Jesus Christ to get the remission of sins.

This covers you in the "blood" that Jesus shed on calvary and it signifies the "oldman of sin" is buried and washed away from you.

Its an awsome feeling and cant be described the feeling of forgiveness from your shoulders of the sin we all carry.

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Especially given the answers here, I would strongly encourage you to do the following:

Open your Bible looking for info on salvation. Read every place you can, preferrably all of it (obviously).

You'll find hearing the Word, belief in it, repentance of sin, confession of Christ as Lord, and baptism. Don't take my word for it. Read it yourself and prayerfully consider the info presented in God's word.

In short, if baptism isn't a step in such then it would follow that arguments about 'not avoiding it' are moot. I know where I stand, but the position that it's not necessary but you should do it anyway is frankly silly and self-defeating.

Who was the audience for the eunuch with Philip? The 'audience' consists of Philip?

How many are required to be present to witness such 'testimony' for it to be valid? Like the above, what makes an audience? Two, three? 47?

Those in Acts asked how to be saved and Peter told them to repent and be baptized, but the salvation would come before the baptism and the baptism is just 'testimony'? I'd like to read where that's indicated. Wouldn't several of them being baptized be sufficient 'testimony', not all of them?

I guess the guy baptized out back in the farm pond with only his daddy present for one was already saved and for another gave only testimony to his daddy. Hmmm...

5. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

I do not believe that it is a requirement for salvation. Here is a link that goes into detail on the subject. With that said, there is no reason that a person should not be baptized.

6. Floridaboy

I cannot believe some of the stuff I read on this forum sometimes.

I guess the 2nd thief next to Jesus was not saved. He made a profession of faith, yet was not baptized.

Baptism is the next step AFTER salvation, it does not save you.

If baptism saves you then there is no need for repentance.

Those claiming Acts 2:38 fail to stress the "repentance" part and then fail to
    read on and see in Acts 2:41 it states "Those who accepted this message were baptized..."

So you can get baptized all you want, but if there is no repentance or acceptance of the message all you will get is all wet.

Make no mistake about what I am trying to explain - baptism is expected of all new believers but it does not save you.

7. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Read this...

mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall he condemned.

And this....

ST John 3:1-7
    verse 5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

8. Wiz Bang

Wiz Bang Senior Refuge Member

Wasn't Jesus Baptised to "fulfill all Rightousness"?

Mark 16 (KJV) 15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

John 3:3-7
    3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

9. Floridaboy

In Mark 16:16 the emphasis is on BELEIF, no belief no salvation.

John 3:3 "no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again"

John 3:6 "the Spirit gives birth to the spirit."

You must be born again spiritually or else the baptism means NOTHING.

10. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Andy, as I mentioned that argument is self-defeating.

If one need not do it, then that alone would be sufficient reason not to or at the least justification for not doing so. Why those who claim it's not needed always seem to say 'but you should' is beyond me. If it's not, then it's not.

I will check that link out though, always up for more info/reading.

I knew what this issue would bring. I'm no prophet:l, but I can see 10 pages, some hurt feelings, and no consensus. I'll keep discussing it but I intend to offend or insult no one and if I do so I apologize and I'll delete my comments regarding such.