Question

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by gooseman101, Dec 22, 2013.

1. gooseman101

gooseman101 Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys I am wanting to get into varmint hunting mostly foxs and coyotes. Is the any tips on how to get it done? how do you know where to hunt? how long do you sit at one spot? anything will help thanks:z:z:z:z

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Yotes will circle downwind if possible, some take this to mean "I'll hunt with the wind in my face," that's fine, as long as they can't get behind you, or come from behind you. I take it to mean this; if you want to wind me, you will have to expose yourself, so I don't mind hunting with the wind at my back with my killzone straight downwind. I just want to make it so any coyote that has my wind, must also then outrun my bullet.

Next, they will smell you, shower in whatever magic you want, use whatever scent proof soaps, detergents, toothpaste, suits, bags, etc... You will not be beating a coyotes nose. I've shot coyotes directly downwind and sub 20 yards away... They can smell you, how they process and use that information is determined by that one coyote in that specific situation, they may run, they may not pay much attention to it, they may sit and stare at you...

To scout: Head out at night, stop at the area you can hunt and do a long locator howl and listen, I use a GPS and mark what I hear and where. Two SW, pack NE..etc. Some use sirens to do this, I've always used howls, group howls can work very well too, just remember what you're doing and don't be sitting with your brights on shining in their direction, radio blaring. My vehicle gets turned off completely and my radio is not on even when driving to the next spot.

Also, I'll stop every couple miles to try, depending upon the property you may want to plan several locations you can try and locate from.

I use hand calls because that's my joy in life, FoxPro makes it easier on you, I use a decoy at times too.

You can go as crazy as you want with this stuff and how you call, none is wrong, it may be wrong that particular stand, but it may call you in a pack on the next... Rabbit in distress is the "safe" go to, I've heard of guys using baboon in distress, all the way to stuff like baby crying. I use coyote vocals a lot.

If you save fur, think smaller caliber, 223, 204, 17 rem, if you don't keep fur, shoot them with whatever you wish.

Gun/scope is up to you, it's personal. Case in point, me, I'm a magnification junky, my last several kills have been under 30 yards and were killed with a rifle that had an 8-32x56 scope on top. That's crazy to most, a lot of guys stick somewhere in 2-15 power. I'm currently running a tikka sporter in 223 with Bushnell's new XRS ffp 4.5-30x50. It's a heavy 15'ish pound rig, too heavy for a lot of guys...

So, for some of this, decide what YOU like and want, and know where you will compromise, if you will.

These animals are predators, it's a different game, don't be surprised if you hunt hard all day, week, month and see nothing.

I stay on stand from 45 min up to an hour and a half, some guys it's 20minutes and done.

3. gooseman101

gooseman101 Senior Refuge Member

thanks keep em coming

4. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

Calling4:Thanks for that info. If it wasn't for pictures on my trail camera or tracks in the snow I would have doubted there was even a coyote out there. When I started really paying attention to wind direction I started actually seeing them responding to my FoxPro. Now shooting them is another thing. lol

5. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

google "coyete hunting"....that will keep u up a few nights reading.:D

6. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Thanks caling4life....the post helped me out. I'm new to it to. I had my first contact tonight and only used the coyote locator and female howl. One howled back and then circled me at 100 yards, no shot, but it sure is cool when they cut loose at 100 yards.

7. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Elite Refuge Member

Calling4life pretty much nailed it. I will add tho that a feather on a string or mojo critter give them something to key in on and keep attention off you.

I'm currently starting to gear up for yotes foxes and cats and build a round that won't tear stuff up too bad out of my .243 anyone have any suggestions on what grain size? Kinda leaning towards a 75ish grain.

8. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

I'd go lighter if possible. Just killed a fox with a 62 grain FMJ out of .223 yesterday. It looked like I threw a baseball through his exit hole.