"Quieter" Lares

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by BIGGERN'YURS, Dec 5, 2017.

1. BIGGERN'YURS

BIGGERN'YURS New Member

Hey all! New to the board. I've been running a handful of calls and recently started blowing a Lares Hybrid and love it. But I'm looking for a quick bit of advice. Was out at my local haunt last Sunday blowing my Hybrid and I could hear my echo off of the line of cottonwoods across the river (300+ yards away...). Faintly but it was there.

I'm guessing that I'm blowing too loud? Is there is a "Quieter" lares that would still run similar to my hybrid. Sure I can back it off but when the birds are rolling in I get a bit fidgety. Maybe a T1 or T1 small bore?

2. DuckNoobie

DuckNoobie Senior Refuge Member

Small bore. I’ve never blown one, but that’s what they have them for.

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Small bore and if you can, get wood. You can also adjust how you call, still be loud, but finish them with just straight quacks, or go to a feed. Run a long finishing sequence that, instead of being a 5 note greet, is 30 notes, where you trail off into quacks.

Then plan on working on your breath control for next year, I run a hybrid, you can get plenty soft on these, really as you can with any call, I used to use my Contest RNT MVP a lot without issue.

I've owned a small bore, they run well, if you like your hybrid, this will be a comfortable feeling call, a little softer, but it isn't magic, ultimately it's on you to control the call.

4. Quakbangsplash

Quakbangsplash Refuge Member

Learn to get soft on the hybrid. It can get really soft and quiet once you learn to back down on it. If you are making good sounds on it now just practice backing down.