Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

R.I.P. Drake

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Gander-Commander, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Refuge Member

Drake
    12/21/2004 - 01/26/2018
    Friday, we said our last goodbye to our special boy. For over 13 years, he was such a loyal and loving member of our family as well as a stud of a hunting retriever. I got to pick him out of the litter and he was the only pup that chased after his father who was retrieving a bumper in the field. I knew that he was the one. His father was Storm's Rippin Black Thunder. Jazztime's Frequent Flier and Storm's Riptide Star were in his pedigree. Drake was my first hunting dog and it was my first attempt at training. He was a much better student than I was a teacher. But we had great times together. Whenever he saw my camo thermos or gun case, he knew it was game day! It took a few long retrieves to get him settled down in the boat, but he was always ready for another swim. He kept his eyes to the sky looking for the next flock and would give you a look if you missed the shot. Drake was a great buddy and he went to work with me everyday for 10 years. He loved riding in the front seat of the old Ford truck. After he retired from hunting, he really became a momma's boy. Somehow he knew at about 5:00 each day that my wife would be coming home from work and he would watch out the window for her return. Drake was such a good family dog. It was fun to watch his excitement every time the grandkids came over for a visit. His health and quality of life had gone downhill. My wife and I were with him and he got his last piece of bacon. He left us peacefully and quietly as we told him how much we all loved him. The house feels so empty now. I know he is going for a swim again or rolling in the cool grass under the warm sunshine. Love you forever Drake Complete memory card 075.jpg 128.JPG IMG_7085 - Copy.JPG

2. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

No Better Friend, be it at home or field, truly a family member.

R.I.P Drake

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Our dogs lives are far too short. The house is way too quiet without them, we lost both of our dogs last summer and the hole it makes in our lives is painful. My thoughts and prayers for you and yours for the loss of your family member.

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm thankful every day for the time I got to share with my dogs Delta and Gracie. Delta was 15 when she left us, and Gracie is now 12, and she is aging quickly, and it saddens me to think that our time together is now limited. Be thankful for your time with Drake, and cherish the memories you made together. Condolences for you and your family.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

John, I have some great memories of hunting with Drake. He's up in heaven with Hoss right now. You know how sorry I am for your loss.

6. 2point

2point Senior Refuge Member

What a great tribute. You gave him a wonderful life. RIP Drake

7. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Great tribute to a beautiful boy. They fill our hearts to the brim, and so tough to lose. You gave him a wonderful life.