Raccoon - it's what's for dinner

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 6, 2018.

1. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

The main dish for both of my sons graduation parties was beaver stew. At the oldest one's party the principals wife said it was beef. I had to take her to the garbage can to show her the bones to prove to her that it was not beef.
    I used to serve beaver loin off the grill at our trappers convention. Some years my youngest son would do around 10 lbs of them. One year I saw a bloody paper on top of the cooler. I picked it up and felt some thing in it. He had saved a couple of loins off of some young beaver for himself. I did not blame him as there were the best eating and he spent over an hour cooking the rest of the loins. I would parboil the meat in baking soda water to get the blood out of the met as they do not bleed out when trapped. You have to keep an eye on them when parboiling as it will foam up and run over the stove top making for a messy stove and a very unhappy wife.
    One year I was mentoring a couple of high school seniors on my beaver lines. They brought an Italian exchange student to the fur shed one night. When the kid saw the beaver liver he got excited and took all the rest of the beaver livers from the season home to eat. To dang soft and squishy for me to even try.
    I have not eaten any coon in years. I agree about getting the glands out. A good way to get the heavy fat off of them is to put them in the freezer for a while. When they are about frozen the heavy fat will pretty much peal off.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

You teed that one up very high, Cooksey, but I am going to resist saying the first thing that popped into my head. :l

3. Seth Gallamore

Seth Gallamore Refuge Member

BBQ slow cooked raccoon is really good but can be a bit on the greasy side

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

My New Years resolution is to eat less things that eat garbage.
    So I guess I'm out.

WoodieSC, GK1 and stevena198301 like this.
  5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Silly silly .. ya'll ain't ever been to the "good ole' know how boys" wild game cook-outs ........ MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
    Use to trap coon & rats for guys for those functions and more!!!!
    Beaver was served also .. good stuff Hermie :tu

I won't dispute what was said bout' glands & fat .. those can't be part of the meal and weren't :dv

Did I say that was back in my Michigan days ;) :grvn:bow

6. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Well, certain duck species that are ordinarily very good can be ruined by them eating the wrong thing - cans eating rotting salmon for example...

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I hear tell that beaver tail is the best part???

8. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

Cooksey beaver quote may be the be the best quote of the new year. Very Clever, I like it.

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Check out DU's last months calendar: shows a Drake Mallard w/a fish in it's mouth! I've always heard of that, but never seen it!

10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

When I get the urge to fish and everythings locked up I fish below a dam coming from a large reservoir. Shad up to 5-6" long are always being spit out of the tube. The resident ducks that don't leave (water never freezes and campers feed them bread) are always down there gulping down the shad. I've seen 2 or 3 mallards at a time get in some serious fights over a big half rotten shad floating by. Kinda gross to think about.

OneShotBandit likes this.