Raccoon - it's what's for dinner

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

I was going to try it but never did. Saved one. It's all gristle inside. I was surprised to find no bone in there. After looking at several recipes most said after making the soup it's best to throw the tail out and eat the vegetables.
    I've heard it makes good fish bait but never tried it.

2. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I remember when i was a weeee lad, on saturday nights on my uncles farm , i got the high honor of taking a bucket of cold long neck beers(PBR) and a platter of BBQ'd coon sammiches :tudown from the farm house to the old barn where a gathering of men were making wager on chicken fights,it was a sight to see at such a tender young age, some of dem suckers was as big as i was it seemed:eek: i even got to take the defeated chicken out to the choppin stump , and with a mighty swing of the hatchet,,,, off with it's head,,,, and its true them suckers will run all over hecks creation after losing their heads....most of them ended up sundays dinner, fried all golden brown and what not, with biscuits or maybe a pot of chicken and noodles, i was awful young but remember the few times this happened like it was just 55 years or so ago,,, but i can tell you this, even after the chicken fights every now and again my mom would make bbq';d coon,, best danged bbq i can ever remember eating, it did take her all day to make it, she said it had to be cooked just right with the right seasonings and and simmered in the "Just Right" home made BBQ sauce,,, slow simmered for a long time, constantly stirring and stirring until she declared it was ready and time to eat,,,,,, dayum i miss her and her cookin,,, none better and dats dat:tu:tu

3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

A couple years ago my former neighbor trapped a coon in a dog proof down by the creek behind our houses. He shot it, cleaned it and put it in a brine. He made the brine a bit too stiff so the coon ended up salty coming off the grill. Tasted like corned beef. We called it corned coon. Id eat it again in a second. It was good.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The tail is famous from days past because of the fat content. Mountain men needed the calories. So, it was the fat, not the meat.
    Meat Eater has cooked beaver on his show. Did the back hams. Looked good.

Shirleyshusband likes this.
  5. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I wish I could remember what a guy from Drummond Island in Michigan compared eating beaver tail to when we were up in the bush fishing in Canada. It was hilarious.

I have never tried to eat one. They do make a good strop for touching up my beaver knife when skinning them.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

For you more adventurous sorts, go ahead on. I'll pass.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

No:
    • Lobster
    • Crabs
    • Pork
    • catfish
    If other people like it, and it will not make me sick, I will at least try it... In my younger days, I would never have tried raw fish (i.e. sashimi/sushi), but it is now one of my favorites.

I have eaten a variety of insect products including termite paste and caterpillar quiche (both were actually tasty)... My wife introduced me to Indian food, which is now probably my favorite cultural food...

Dog, cat, and monkey would be tough for me to eat, just due to trying to wrap my head around what I am putting in my stomach...

goosenazi likes this.
  8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

When I was in Japan visiting relatives- if it tasted good eat it and not ask what it was! :yes On "Life After Zero" they always talk about eating Linx when skinning them, as Beaver & Muskrat! They seem to eat anything & everything they trap.

Squaller likes this.
  9. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

:l

10. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I was friends with an ER doctor that would take the winter off to get away from the stress. He would trap in the bush in AK for a while then move to New Mexico later. He always ate the lynx he caught saying they were good eating. It was a welcome change from eating moose and beaver.
    I have only caught one bob cat in Michigan on a nuisance complaint. When I skinned it out, the meat was the color of chicken breast. As much as I wanted to I could not eat it. I am still kicking my self for not trying it.