Raccoon - it's what's for dinner

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 6, 2018.

1. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

The thing about cats is that they eat fresh meat unlike other carnivores that will eat anything no matter how badly decayed it is.

Vahunter likes this.
  2. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

3. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

I know a guy whose grandmother came off the boat from a pretty rough European hometown . In her new Pennsylvania town she got into a property boundary dispute with a neighbor. After a long-standing feud she told her neighbor it was time to become friendly again so she invited the neighbor (whose cat had gone missing) plus their local priest for spaghetti dinner. After dinner she said "hey, i a fed a you a your a cat a". It must tasted pretty good in spaghetti sauce. Like chicken???

4. payton

payton Senior Refuge Member

Pass this recipe on please, my buddy shoots mergansers somtimes:(

5. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

Recipe is really simple. Sprinkle 2 breasts and 2 legs (all fat removed) liberally with Curry Powder-- 1 or 2: Tablespoons. Brown in a skillet until almost done rare. Add plenty of sliced onions until onions are brown too. Transfer to Crock-Pot with 1/2 inch tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes and water--enough to keep the meat moist. Add a few slices of pickled jalapenos. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, turn meat over around 2hours to keep both sides moist.I would be interested in knowing if anybody agrees this makes mergansers pretty fit to eat (although I have stopped shooting them unless I am really frustrated with "real ducks").

6. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

So basically you're making curried shad ?

P

7. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

Actually, 80% of a hooded mergs diet is plant matter. We still tend to pass on them up here, but the few we've eaten have tasted decent.

8. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

I have baked shad twice. Once successfully, once not. Layed bacon in cookie sheet, then shad filet on that, then stuffing mix, then shad filet then bacon on top. Baked around 300 degrees for like 2-3 hours. It was decent. The fine bones softened up. Second time couple years later followed same recipe. I couldn't eat it but my dog did. 'Hard to believe shad saved General George Washington's troops from starvation at Valley Forge (supposedly)...

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Your "buddy"... Suuuure... ;) :l

Vahunter likes this.