radio cd player to replace factory radio in GMC 2004 Sierra

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I wanted any suggestions about a decent radio am/fm cd player to replace my work truck factory am/fm radio. This is in a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4. I will probably keep the truck a few more years and wanted to improve radio capability. I don't own an Ipod or similar device or know much about that but have a number of CD's . I just turned 60, so please understand my ignorance about the present formats. I see from a brief look at some that many have an input jack for an Ipod or phone- not sure how that works. Thank you!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Too many choices to name. I would suggest going into a place that installs, and talk to them. You will probably need some type of box to install, as factory radios take up a lot of space, and after-markets don't.

The input jack is pretty common now. Anything you can listen to with earphones, you can now plug into your stereo, select the 'AUX' option, and listen away. All you need is a male-male plug. You can buy a cheap MP3 player, and hold 500 hours of music on it. Sure beats that big folder full of CD's.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

It's just a cover plate that has a cubbyhole / slot for sunglasses that takes up the extra space.....it just snaps right on.
    If I remember right they cost about $45 from the Chevy dealer..............so that means they probably cost $20 elsewhere.
    I went with a Alpine single CD player AM FM.
    It sounded much better then the stock deck.........worth every penny back when I was commuting 100+ miles a day.:yes

4. Glades Ranger

Thanks, gentlemen! Ducker, I think that is a good idea- just go to a place that installs and ask them. I don't want to spend too much and probably three years from now will have to get another truck. I just might learn about the MP3 method. Wonder how much longer the CD format will be around? Just glad I can still use my side by side and pump guns in the field!:D

5. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor Moderator

My son bought one for 130.00 installed in his 97 Chevy with the adapter plate. It has single CD/mp3 player/usb port so he can plug in a thumb drive full of music and play it, and a aux jack for his I-pod or phone with music on it. It also has a nice FM tuner. Works and sounds great even with the factory 1997 speakers. I know if we installed newer speakers in the stock locations that it would sound even better.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

As to going to the shop, I only said that so they can point out what type of adapter you might, or might not, need. For me, the actual install isn't that hard. A lot of stereos have adapter plugs, so all the wiring and power leads are all taken care of. Again, not having any actual experience in your truck.

I have a couple of Sansa Clips that I use to listen to music around the house. Depending on your computer screen, this might be actual size.,,,,,,,
    [​IMG]
    It is about 2" tall, by 1 1/2 wide, and it holds about 8gb of data, which is literally thousands of songs. So, upside is, you can put all your music in one spot, and take it anywhere with you. Downside is, being portable, you have to remember to keep it charged. You 'can' get a USB adapter that will plug into a 12v plug.

Another thing you might want to consider in your purchase is the player being CD/MP3 capable. What I mean is, the typical 'WAV' format most CD's use takes up a lot of space on the disc, so you get about 12 songs, max. However, you can make MP3 CD's, and since the MP3 format takes up a LOT less space, you can get 50+ songs on ONE disc. (that is off the top of my head, lets see, average song in MP3 is about 10mb, most blank CDs are 700mb, so, lets say 60 songs on one disc)

So, if you don't want to go with the portable MP3 player route, you can just burn a ton of songs on a disc, in MP3 format, and have 300 songs on 5 discs, which store over your sun visor.

7. macscot-1

macscot-1 New Member

Well, Glades - 2nd attempt. Hope the site doesn't log me out in the middle of this one.

Go to Crutchfield on Internet if you have it or pm me for their number. I bought a Sony receiver from them. Most tedious part was matching & crimping receiver wires to the adapter wires. Just took time. Pulled off the front of the dash; wired in the SiriusXM receiver; installed the antenna jack; done. Crutchfield walked me through the tough parts via phone.

Here in PA no more car stereo installers. Crutchfield was invaluable. Same company from the 70s.:grvn

8. Glades Ranger

10-4, macscot! My first car was a '69 Ford Falcon. I installed an Alpine radio am/fm cassette player and also hooked up a separate graphic equalizer, both units from Crutchfield. That was one good system. After a few years I lost touch with the audio changes...I see I may need some antenna cable connection for GM, and the hardest part will probably finding a cover for the dash hole (maybe cutting the one I am taking out?) but Best Buy had some type of modification kits. I must admit I enjoyed that first installation, thank you all for your suggestions!