Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Raffia grass fading after drying

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Smon, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Smon

Smon New Member

Picked up 30 lbs of natural raffia in order to cover up a few layouts in a winter wheat field. Used the popular recipe with Rit dye (Dark green, golden yellow, yellow).

Right out of the solution, it looked great. But now after drying 36 hours, it has faded almost down to a pale greenish color. Not very close to winter wheat.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does it just need another soaking in the dye? Should I get some Kelly Green in there to brighten it up?

Any help is appreciated - Searching and looking back at old threads doesn't help much as all the photos have been pulled by Photobucket.

Here is a bundle behind a chunk of the winter wheat:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Here's a link to a good resource for dying raffia. You can also reach out to API here on the forum.

@API

3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Dyeing raffia is equal parts art and science. :yes

Because its easier to control, I typically dye raffia in small batches outdoors using hot water (to 110+ degrees) heated on a gas grill. Premix the dye separately, then stir it into the hot water. Raffia batches should soak in the hot dye mixture about 10 minutes (turning at least once). After about three batches, the dye mix will become diluted and need to be refreshed. All of my recipes require Rit dye, two gallons of hot water, plus the detergent and salt called for on the Rit package. These are creations based upon my own experimenting and not supported by Rit. You must consider all of these as a starting point as each location has it's own specific look.

Winter Wheat
    1 Tbsp Rit Golden Yellow (liquid)
    1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Rit Lemon Yellow (liquid)
    1 Tbsp + ½ tsp Rit Dark Green (liquid)

Air drying the wet dyed raffia outdoors on a breezy day seems to work best.

4. Smon

Smon New Member

That's the exact recipe I used. Although I was probably adding too many bundles at once.

I didn't use detergent either...didn't see that in the liquid dye instructions. Is this dish detergent or laundry detergent?

I'll hit them again tonight and see what I come out with.

Thanks for the help.

5. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

I use detergent powders like original Tide. Somehow “hard” water works better. Keep experimenting. Getting it right the first time is a rare treat.

Smon likes this.