Raffia

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dave Adamson, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Dave Adamson

Dave Adamson Refuge Member

0802170435.jpg 8 0802170432.jpg I'm in the process of building a hardsided aluminum frame boat blind and I bought 35lbs of raffia to cover it with. I'm using a vinyl coated metal pig wire type fence that I'm attaching with 1/8 wire clips and 3/8 nylon spacers. My question is what's the best way to attach the raffia to the wire or is there something that would work better then wire like bird netting? I pull the boat 80 miles at freeway speeds each way to my hunting grounds so I need something that's good and solid. P1020106.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Go to local lowes/home depot/menards and go to garden area, look for a green plastic fencing. Its called extruded mesh, and the squares are 2x2 I believe and a lot easier to work with than wire. I have done 4 rigs this way for going down the road and so have a lot of other guys. Ive been there with the wire mesh and clips, I felt the wire could move to much over time and the mesh will bend easily and break. Just my experience with the wire, plus its a pain to work with, be careful to dull up all your cuts to avoid sharp edges.

3. Dave Adamson

Dave Adamson Refuge Member

Thank you I think I'll go that route versus the metal fencing. How do you attach the fencing?

4. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

i actually used sheet metal roofing screws and fender washers for a hard side blind, and then just cable ties for a non hard side. Next time i will pry use cable ties with mounting holes and then sheet metal screw the cable tie down, kill two birds with one stone for each fastener

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

You can tie raffia in an overhand knot. I like that it seems to make it stand up a bit for a little more 3d effect.

I put it over commercial camo nets like that. I like the knot better then cable ties.

I would recommend a wind breaker under the camo if Utah is as cold as your avatar picture makes it look.

Cordura or thin corrugated plastic would work.

6. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

Below is a link to the boat blind I built.

I attached both wind block and plastic fencing to the frame with zip ties. I also used zip ties to attach raffia to the fencing.

You mentioned hard sided, but the picture is of a bare frame. If you add aluminum sheeting, I would use the clip system you showed to attach plastic fencing.

If you were thinking fencing over a bare frame, I recommend a wind block to keep the raffia on the outside of the boat versus hanging through the fencing on the inside even if weather is not a factor.

Feel free to contact me if you go this route. This is my second boat blind build and I have learned a couple tricks along the way.

http://refugeforums.com/threads/xpress-boat-blind-build.1000055/

Have a good evening,
    Kendall

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. Frog Lips

Frog Lips Refuge Member

8. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

I also recommend adding a wind blocker first. Like a tarp, to cut the wind and keep heat in if you have it. Then Add the fencing and rafia.

9. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

I recommend a wind block or shade tarp as well. I remember seeing a well grassed blind with no wind block or shade tarp set up near us a few years back. With the morning sun low behind that blind it was like looking at a shadow puppet show when the ducks swung in. The ducks sure saw it too since they swung off the spread every time the hunters moved to get set up for the incoming birds.

10. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

They sell bulk camo condura on e bay to use as a windblocker, it's a must.