Raffia

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dave Adamson, Aug 2, 2017.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

This will be my 17th duck rig im building now and i can give you some opinions on the whole wind blocker/shad thing. If you are building a hard sided blind like you mentioned in the beginning of this thread then you DO NOT NEED ANY WIND BLOCKER. Here is my experience on the wind blocker vs non wind blocker. The extra material was great for wind proofing, and rain... HOWEVER it also cast a shadow when the sun was behind you and caused birds to flare because of it. Sure it was comfortable but the point was to shoot ducks and it did not perform like the one without the blocker. I have had better success without the wind blocker and tons of grass instead.

This boat with ZERO wind blocker flat out smoked the ducks
    boat.jpg

This boat with a wind blocker flared more ducks than i have ever seen. This is the only pic i have but the entire thing ended up looking like the front did. It had a flip back lid, and could close within inches to see out of. The top pic even had an open top. I always felt the shadow it cast was a problem.

10422600_10204787466623914_3651875714931319289_n.jpg

2. Whak'em & Stak'em

Whak'em & Stak'em Senior Refuge Member

KSGOOSEKILLER, how much Raffia is on the bottom blind?

3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

started with 35lbs and had to order 25 more pounds when it was all said and done. That pic there was only the front and top completed, i did that to enclose the entire boat and backside. my latest layout boat i sold had 36lbs on it and was tied for a more natural look. I dont think guys use enough grass to cover a blind. That top blind had 20 sheets of fast grass on it. I ended up doubling it up because i felt it was see thru.

I wanted to tie the grass on that bottom blind but it would have taken a decade to do right. My layout took me over a month of non stop grassing every evening.

4. Dave Adamson

Dave Adamson Refuge Member

I'm actually just finishing up the aluminum sheeting. I went that route because of the distances I travel (160miles round trip) 3 or 4 times a week. I just don't think the raffia would hold up as well. I'll post up some pics later today.

5. Dave Adamson

Well I just finished up the raffia and a few other tweeks and thought I'd post a couple pics. I used the green plastic fence material and used a overhand knot to tie the raffia (34 lbs + 20hours time) I hung sections of the fence in my garage and attached the grass then attached it to the boat frame with fender washers and self tappers, that made it easier to tie the grass on. I am making some changes to the shooting door on top so I'm not posting and pics of it yet. 0819171047.jpg

Attached Files:

6. milotmatic

milotmatic New Member

Dave Where did you get your Raffia?

7. Dave Adamson

JSterns. 25lb minimum but I don't think you can beat the pricing.

8. milotmatic

milotmatic New Member

I have called them for a week and can't get a hold of anyone and they won't call me back.

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I spoke with a lady today at Stern to ask about my order from 8/17. They were shut down last week. She didn't go into any detail on why they were closed but she assured me my order would ship this week.

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Don't give up.