Rage Broad Heads

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Rambo, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior Refuge Member

Rages Yes or No? I have muzzy Mx-3's right now but my brother got some new rages and loves them so what do yall think?

2. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

yes they kill yes the cut big holes..But watch the hunting shows they NEVER get complete pass throughs..And to me thats important.

3. Bandhuntr

Bandhuntr Elite Refuge Member

I think they are great:tu!!! Shot deer and a hog with them and not one of them made it farther then 50 yards..

4. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

Yes to the rage and I had complete pass thru on my big whitetail last year...but he was shot at 7 yards :clap

5. QuackQuack

QuackQuack New Member

We've shot 2 deer this year with the Rage. There the best I've seen. Both arrows passed through the deer. 1 at 22 yards the other at 25 yards. Blood trail that a blind person could follow.

The best mechanical broadhead made !!!!!:tu

6. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

killed a doe yesterday at 15 yards and got a complete pass through with a bow shooting 240 fps. I got a new bow today though.:tu

7. MDbowman

MDbowman Elite Refuge Member

So far 3 shots this year with Rages. 1 pass through. The 3 deer ran 40-50 yards. Not real happy about the lack of pass-throughs. The other 2 clipped shoulders going in or out. My experience with 2 years shooting them is bone is bad!! But a good blood trail and a short track are good.

8. Mountain Duck

Mountain Duck Elite Refuge Member

I really liked the concept behind the Rages. I seen the big entry holes, and blood trails. Bought 6 for this coming season.

Practice tips fly like a dart, and hit right along with my field points.

However, not wanting to go into the woods without shooting an actual head, I decide to fling a couple this past Monday just to know for sure.

To make a long story short, they flew everywhere. 6" high, 6" left 5' low etc.

It became evident to me that the blades were deploying way prematurely, and sending the arrow way of course.

I adjusted/removed/replaced the o-rings, and still couldn't get them to group. You could feel the notch in the back of the blade cam over and lock in, but they were still flying open. Perhaps 1 in 5 flew straight and hit where it was supposed to. You could hear them hiss, and whistle from the moment I released.

A guy at my archery shop reported the same problem.

I know people have had great luck with them, and I am by no means trashing them, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to work in my setup. I don't know if it is an issue with the Rage, or if it has something to do with my bow. I wonder if certain bows/cam systems generate more torque when released. Not necessarily more speed , but rather more/different type of torque that would cause the blades to deploy upon release.

Whatever the reason, I have ZERO confidence in them, and will not be taking them to the woods for the opener Saturday.

BTW, I checked the 136 reviews at Cabelas. People love 'em or hate 'em, with those that hate 'em reporting problems with keeping them closed in flight, and poor groups.

9. steelheader

steelheader Elite Refuge Member

We can't use them in our State. I would love to try some though. I have herd mixed feelings on them and I think there is only one way to find out if you like them is to try them out. There are fixed blade heads I hate but other guys love them. I think it is also the whole thing like I like Bowtech and other guys like Mathews, and others Hoyt.

10. possum2

possum2 Senior Refuge Member

yes they kill yes the cut big holes..But watch the hunting shows they NEVER get complete pass throughs..And to me thats important.

i have always gotten complete pass thru's you are correct the cut big holes the is the purpose i do believe a 2 inch hole in , and a bullet like exit wound. i thought the object was to " stick'em deep n make 'em bleed" clean and quick that is the name of the game for me.